Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dear Jane >

dear Jane

dear Jane

Old 07-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Dear Jane before I die!!!! Funny I was just pm' ing tacomama about this!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Use the search bar and you will find TONS of lovely examples of Jane.

I have the book. I have the rulers. I have a dream. Now I just need the motivation. :D
LOL!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 AM

I also had the patterns forever, I had purchased a notebook full of printed patterns, plus the softwear and the book from a lady that had given up on it. Everytime I looked at those teeny templates I freaked out and put it all away again. Then I noticed while playing with the software one day that many of the patterns could be printed out for paper piecing.... and that changed everything for me. So I designed a semi-Dear Jane with squares on point and used a pattern for the border that I had seen on Linda Franz's version of the DJ. There are 211 four and a half inch squares in my quilt, plus side triangles. I used every DJ pattern that I could in either paper piecing or machine applique and filled in with other paper piecing patterns from here and there. The quilt is about 8 ft square and will be put away as a wedding quilt for my baby grandson. :) So...perhaps if you don't make yourself be locked into replicating the DJ quilt exactly it would be more fun for you to try. You could also make a smaller quilt, make the blocks bigger....just about anything you want. I hope you will try it out, I can truthfully say I had a ball doing the blocks and putting them together in the block by block method allowed me to machine quilt each block intricately and that was fun too. Good luck!

Originally Posted by rosiewell
Has anyone done a "dear Jane" quilt? I have seen some quilts and it looks like a lot of work, I do love applique but notoriously I start quilts and never finish them, so I am hesitant to spend $$ for the pattern book (to date I have 38 UFOs!! LOL)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227086.jpe   attachment-227088.jpe  
Old 07-16-2011, 03:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by thebooklady27
I hope you will try it out, I can truthfully say I had a ball doing the blocks and putting them together in the block by block method allowed me to machine quilt each block intricately and that was fun too.
It's beautiful! And those are two great borders.
Looking at it carefully, I can see some of the "new" blocks but they fit in perfectly.

I love that you didn't make an exact replica and truly made it your own.
I've also always thought DJ was a perfect candidate for QAYG.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 AM

I've also always thought DJ was a perfect candidate for QAYG.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words! And I doubt the quilt would have ever gotten finished if I had had to face quilting it as a whole top! Quilting in little chunks is a lot easier and a whole lot more fun. :) I try to do every quilt that I can as QAYG as it is especially helpful for my arthritic hands not to have to handle an entire heavy quilt until the joining process and even then it doesn't get heavy until almost the whole quilt has be joined together.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 AM

I saw the actual quilt in Vermont. After doing it I can't believe how hard it had to be to do by hand. DJ quilt blocks that is as far as I got. When I got them done I didn't want to look at DJ again. Still sitting in a box.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 AM

Hi DJ friends, One day I started with a DJ applique block and couldn"t stop. Now I have finished 110 altogether and my autumn colors are finished. This is going to be my own Baby Jane. I have started a blue one for my GD but eventually she told me she would like a little bit of pink to it.I am not so very happy about it but will try to add as she likes. Moral of the story is finish your project and give away then. But thankfully she still loves it a lot and that encouraged me to finish it as she would like it. Which was your most difficult block to finish, mine was A2. Mind you I don't like machine piecing.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 AM

before reading any other replys...my first thought is DJ is the ultimate UFO!!! LOL
Old 07-16-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Use the search bar and you will find TONS of lovely examples of Jane.

I have the book. I have the rulers. I have a dream. Now I just need the motivation. :D
I have all that but I need the money.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 AM

I just finished the top of a baby jane. I did 60 blocks and decided to put it together. With the CD you make different size blocks and get paper piecing patterns and templates for appliques. I am thinking of doing another with my blocks 6 1/2 inch.