Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dear Jane >

dear Jane

dear Jane

Old 07-16-2011, 04:25 AM

For a quick way to scan through lots of the examples of these quilts on the Board, you can go to the "Dear Jane" page
in the Gallery:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=3585

I've bookmarked the picture above from thebooklady to add to my collection there.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:28 AM

Yes I have finished a Dear Jane quilt. It is hanging on a wall in my family room. I did it by doing the block of the week. took me a long time, but I did finsih it. I hate hand work so all the applique is done by machine - iron on, raw edge.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 AM

I started a Dear Jane a couple of months ago and I'm afraid I've become a little obsessed with it. I had planned for it to be a long-time project fit in between other projects -- I even bought a special box for all the fabric and finished blocks. But I can't stop making those blocks! I'm sure learning a lot, though -- I'm a machine piecer, appliquer, and quilter and lots of this is done by hand and I'm doing hand QAYG, which is new for me, too.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:48 AM

I saw the original too. That's as far a I got!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 AM

I am not as far along as the rest of you...I just have the book and a dream of doing one someday.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 AM

For those of you who aren't familiar with Dear Jane (as I was) I found this info:
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Dear JaneŽ History

Dear JaneŽ

In 1863 a woman named Jane A. Blakely Stickle completed a sampler quilt. Her name would be unremarkable today except for one thing that she did; she signed her amazing quilt.

"In War Time. 1863. Pieces. 5602. Jane A. Stickle."

The quilt was passed down through the family. During the depression years a relative in St. Louis, Missouri found the signed quilt and knowing Jane was from Vermont sent it to the Bennington Museum. The museum is one of the finest art and history museums in New England and well known for the largest collection of Grandma Moses paintings and memorabilia.

The quilt appeared in Lady's Circle Patchwork Quilts magazine, Winter 1983 issue which featured quilts and quilters from the state of Vermont. Jane's quilt was shown draped from a bowfront chest so it was not seen in its entirety. But what really put it on the road to becoming world famous was when it was pictured fully in Richard L. Cleveland & Donna Bister's book Plain and Fancy: Vermont's People and their Quilts as a Reflection of America, published in 1991. That is where and when Brenda Papadakis saw "The Quilt".

The geometry of the block designs quickly captured Brenda's attention. She spent the next five years researching Jane Stickle's life and times. She drafted the patterns of the 169 four and a half inch blocks, the 52 triangle border blocks, and the 4 kite-shaped corner blocks and then published those in the book Dear Jane, The Two Hundred Twenty-Five Patterns from the 1863 Jane A. Stickle Quilt. Later she made the Dear JaneŽ; CD Rom available making it possible to customize one's own version of the quilt from a computer.

Thanks to Jane signing her quilt - thus the quilt being returned to the state of Vermont where they have great documentation of their historical quilts, thanks to Brenda publishing her Dear JaneŽ book, and thanks to the internet and the Dear JaneŽ website thousands worldwide know Jane Stickle by name today.

Source: http://www.thebluecatcreations.com/dearjanehistory.php

Brenda Papadakis site:

BOM patterns:
http://www.dearjane.com/bom.htm
Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by rosiewell
Has anyone done a "dear Jane" quilt? I have seen some quilts and it looks like a lot of work, I do love applique but notoriously I start quilts and never finish them, so I am hesitant to spend $$ for the pattern book (to date I have 38 UFOs!! LOL)
Check online for used books. They may be more in your price range.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM

I started my Blue Dear Jane last year (bought Stitchin' Heaven BOM -started two years ago, last BOM arrived yesterday) taking a great class with Brenda Papadakis (wonderful teacher). Brenda had us work on one of each type of block in class, focusing on the difficult ones like Nan's Naiad.

However, due to working FT, then retiring, going on a cruise with my mom, and then moving I haven't got past the two or three finished blocks and several started ones. I do plan to restart again.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM

I am presently working on Jane as a BOM from Stitchin' Heaven. I'm a little behind but, like you, I frequently hear the siren song of another project and get distracted.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 AM

sounds like a ambitious dream....give me a holler when you want to part with that great stash....I am doing mine in southwest fabrics & colors