Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dear jane....... >

Dear jane.......

Dear jane.......

Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 AM

Geri, there are 2 sites to visit:
www.DearJane.com and that quilt.com

On the board there are postings by "motomom" and by me:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t186603.html I have several.
Just search the board for "Dear Jane"

Its really fun!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

The blocks - as drawn in the book - 'finish' to 4.5 inches

I was also disappointed in the presentation of the blocks in the book.

In my opinion - the author could have drawn better representations of some of the blocks.

As far as I know, the software has 'fixed' that. I have an older Mac, so the software would not work on the computer I have, so I didn't buy it.

I think half the fun of the blocks I've made was in trying to figure out how Miss Jane designed and assembled her blocks.

There are MANY threads - and blogs - about the Dear Jane (or Jane A Stickle) quillt.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I bought the book and found it very disappointing. Horrible instructions. I gave the book away and started making the blocks by importing and tracing them to EQ7. It works so much better. Any close up picture of the quilt blocks will work to trace and draft.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM

I have the software and it works well except the instructions are complicated because it wanders all over the place and the blocks instructions are clear at the far end of the booklet.
The software is complicated and when I finally figured it out I stopped making the blocks for awhile. Now its like starting all over and I forgot what Im susposed to do. You have to refer to the booklet for instructions since the software doesnt walk you thru it in detail.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM

I started my dear jane sept 04. I work on it now and then. I am on my second to last row and then I have to do the borders. I started working on this when I had only been quilting for about 6 months. I also thought what did I get my selve into. But now that it is almost done I love it and can't wait to finish it.
I have blown up some of the blocks and used them in other projects.
Good luck, It will be worth it.

cheryl
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM

On the Dear Jane site, there are instruction for all of the blocks. Brenda has put the simplest (in her opinion) way to make the blocks. It is fun to try to figure how Jane made the blocks. I have one question--do I need the rulers? I have been tempted, but so far haven't gotten them. I have made 40-50 blocks, and then put it away. I am thinking of getting back to it this summer.
Sue
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
On the Dear Jane site, there are instruction for all of the blocks. Brenda has put the simplest (in her opinion) way to make the blocks. It is fun to try to figure how Jane made the blocks. I have one question--do I need the rulers? I have been tempted, but so far haven't gotten them. I have made 40-50 blocks, and then put it away. I am thinking of getting back to it this summer.
Sue
I think the rulers were worth the money - They came as a set of two and I got them from a site on e-bay that was comparatively reasonable.

I found that I had to 'concentrate' when I was using the 5 inch square. I bought the set mostly for the triangle ruler.

So far, I haven't seen (or looked for) a template for the scallops on the outside border.

I was experimenting with folding paper to create designs and patterns. I think that may be how Jane created some of her designs.

I also have a monolog about it on my PDA - starting at #18 on page 2 (I think) - goes to maybe page 50 - lots of illustrations

http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...-t23019-2.html

I think sandpat and lacelady - among many - also have a lot on the Jane A. Stickle quilt. (Dear Jane)

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-10-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM

I just started my Dear JAne this week. I was going to do it with the group on here but never got started with them. I have 4 blocks finished. I am going to join the group on here where they are and try to work with them . I printed out the schedule. I am going to start at the beginning and do those blocks as I have time. I know I will never catch up them since I am 6 months behind. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM

Try "That Quilt.com" Wonderful site and VERY informative. Sorry 4 yelling .