Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dear Jane thoughts >

Dear Jane thoughts

Dear Jane thoughts

Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Dear Jane thoughts

I have always loved the Dear Jane's but never committed. Has anyone done the BOM for a two year sign up? How much time must one devote to this? Can much of the quilt be pieced by machine? I am just trying to gather thoughts from those who have done this most beautiful quilt. I love the way the civil war fabric looks on this quilt, but also not sure if these dull colors will put a hinder on my motivation to finish it (If I take that leap and begin)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:30 PM

gosh, pick the fabrics that you love. I used all blue fabrics. It turned out lovely.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 AM

Mine is still a UFO, but everything on it can be done by machine. I wouldn’t try to do it in colors you don’t like. Go for what you love, u will be spending many hours with it. If you do a search, you will see it done in every color combination imaginable. It has been done at least twice here on QB so there are lots of pics and advice if you go through those threads.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:27 AM

Choose the colours you like. Though I did mine by hand all my friends are machining. You can even consider a two colour version
Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 AM

I looked up Jane Quilters quilt done in blue and it is really very, very beautiful.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 AM

I haven't made one, but I do love them. If you have EQ, you can buy the Dear Jane program as an add-in or just the pattern on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Jane-Hun.../dp/1881588157 I am not a fan of a BOM for the price of the shipping and handling. Usually the shipping is between 5 to 7 dollars per month. For the minimum of 24 x $5 = $120 I can buy fabric.

Why don't you see if others are interested and maybe start a BOM of the month on this board? I think Patrice has to okay your doing it.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-11-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 AM

There is a post down from your that is titled Dear Jane, Farmer's Wife. I gave info and a helpful site for doing the Jane Stickle quilt (dear jane) with a picture of mine.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 AM

how much time? as long as it takes. If you buy the DJ eq thingie my two sides of jane is on it (both sides) plus journal and 'toid tins.

I saw the book and bought it thinking it looked like plenty of opportunities to practice applique.
And I did applique many blocks that could have just as easily been pieced.

There is no fabric that doesn't look good on a Jane. I used stash only, with 6 different fabrics
I pieced mine in 3 months but was on fire about the project, took about 5 years to quilt it.

I ca't begin to imagine doing it BOM because of the cost, and because it would would have twin sisters.

if you do it though you will find yourself a far better patchworker at the end. There is all kinds of fudge room in a 12 inch block with 10 or 15 pieces, almost none in a 4.5" finished block with 10-50 pieces in it

Make a few blocks using stash before you commit to it.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:02 AM

I started a Dear Jane several years ago. I decided to make it in Civil War fabrics. I collected them from an exchange on here since I didn't own any. I made about 10 blocks. I said to myself "why are you making this out of Civil War fabric, you hate those." I stopped working on it. I used up all of the Civil War fabric on other quilts. I would like to make one , but it will be out of fabrics that I love. Probably mostly batiks.
I find most BOM too expensive. Unless you want it authentic make it out of fabrics you love. There are many online tutorials. I believe all of the blocks can be done by machine
Old 04-12-2018, 05:44 AM

If someone starts another group for Dear Jane, I'll participate. I'm on a goal to use up scraps this year, and that is another that would work well with that plan.