Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy >

Scrappy

Scrappy

Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Default Scrappy

No takers on my bag of scraps and I hate to toss them. That's so wasteful. I'm not sure I want to mess with two and a half inch blocks but if I do, any suggestions? I'm more into using panels these days but I guess I can try anything once.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Hey, I would be very tempted to take them, but I have tons now, and I try to use them up, I generate more scraps! Happy quilting!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Did you see the quilt that Jane Quilter recently posted in pictures. Using 2.5" charms to frame really cute embroidery blocks. You could use them to frame any kind of block. birdi quilt of friends and family memories
Old 04-09-2018, 06:24 AM

I've been cleaning out my fabric shelves and have been taking them to my local thrift shop. My scraps I put into plastic gallon bags so they can see what they're getting. I try to make sure the scraps are large enough to do something with them. Still have another batch of scrap totes plus 3 more shelves of fabrics and then I'm finished until the next time I get this wild hair idea to declutter.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM

You could try re-titling your thread 'Scraps to Give Away' just to make sure people who want scraps will click.

I would suggest you list your scraps on ReUseIt, which is a yahoo group, if you have one operating in your city. If not, try calling any of your local quilt guilds. I would bet they'd be delighted to have your scraps. Whatever you do, don't throw them away!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

use them as borders on panel quilts.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I made a quilt out of scraps that was so much fun, I ended up cutting scraps because I ran out! I don't know how to post photo's here, but my inspiration for this quilt was this one:

https://sewingroomsecrets.wordpress....t-moment-when/

It's the one hanging from the railing.

I ended up really enjoying piecing the scraps into fabric. It was mindless; I could sit down and do it for just 10 minutes at a time or for 2 hours at a time. No mistakes. I heavily spray starched the pieces, then cut them down into 6.5" squares. (It gets harder to piece scraps into really large pieces because you have to join pieces, which requires cutting straight edges, which wastes more fabric.) It does make a difference how you cut the squares; having pieces running diagonally makes the squares more interesting. So I paid attention to how I cut the "made" fabric into squares. You could also cut smaller pieces, triangles, other shapes, or run the created fabric through an Accuquilt Go! I plan to make a flower quilt that way.

There are Youtube videos that demo how to sew scraps together. It's a lot of sewing, but easy sewing.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 AM

I use a lot of scraps for paper piecing and appliqué and anything too small I save and use to stuff soft toys for the cat (simple shapes, stuffed with scraps and dried cat nip!) They will definitely have a use by someone so don't throw them away
Old 04-09-2018, 10:29 AM

I love scraps I just looked for your other thread, and I can pm you! Are they mostly 2 1/2"? (I'm being brave enough to use anything at least 1" wide, but 2 1/2" would be awesome).
Old 04-09-2018, 01:52 PM

Most senior centers have a quilting group that would love your small pieces.