Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Decluttering >

Decluttering

Decluttering

Old 03-02-2023, 11:51 AM

I like all my “stuff “. I makes me happy to see all my fabrics, even though it’s way too much. I like all those books. They make me happy too. Why get rid of things that make you happy. I’m having trouble getting into my sewing room due to excess fabric. So I’ve been sewing in the family room. And all my stuff follows me out. I say if you like all of your collection of sewing items, then why would you get rid of them.
I am who I am.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:57 AM

I feel it is easier now to get rid of physical books, etc. as it seems you can find just about anything on the internet. That is how I feel about recipies also, can look up what you want on the internet.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy my fabric stash and supplies but when it spills over in other rooms of the house that is where I draw the line. I wouldn't like it if my husband's hobby started taking over the house.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:09 PM

For me, getting rid of books, fabric, thread, art supplies, jewelry making supplies, cool stuff that could be useful someday and tools is very difficult. Every time I've decided to do a major purge, I end up getting rid of clothes and keeping all the stuff listed above. All my clothes now fit into one small 19th century wardrobe and a small dresser and I'm down to 5 pairs of shoes. But my art supplies, books, quilting supplies etc. take up two whole rooms and part of the garage LOL.

Rob
Old 03-03-2023, 06:43 PM

I totally agree with Cashs-mom! I keep what l like, and often go through old publishings and find ideas and inspiration that l missed the first time Our tastes change. What l liked when the book/ mag was new is different from what l like now...and my skill level has changed as well. I won't keep something l don't like. My bookcase is full, and l plan to keep it that way until l'm forced to move to a smaller place.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Some years ago when the sparkles became popular to put on quilts I bought a dozens of bags of different color crystals, the tools to adhere them to the quilts and the accessories, storage case,etc. Every time I saw a kit on clearance I bought it. I embellished a tote bag but never have embellished a quilt. Every time I saw the supplies I would say I one day I will use these. Really? I gave it all to a 4H leader. She said these girls will have everything they own blinged out.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:59 AM

There is nothing wrong with not getting rid of anything. I assure you that the second you get rid of something, you'll need it! If it doesn't bother anyone, there is no reason not to keep it. It's your life and If you have a reason...like you can't see the carpet because of the clutter, or you are tripping on it, or it's falling off the shelf etc., then, yes, you probably need to add on to your house. I am the queen of clutter. I enjoy going through my treasures and rereading quilting books a hundred times and enjoy seeing the pictures of quilts. I find it enjoyable and inspiring. It's your life, and if you want to keep it all, you most certainly can!
Old 03-05-2023, 05:37 PM

You know I enjoy going thru books and patterns but knowing I probably will not do them. So then I think I should get rid of some of it.