Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Decorative stitches on quilts??

I say go for it! If you like the way the stitche looks, then do it.

IT"S your quilt do it your way we will not send the QUILT POLICE

I have done this before on a baby's quilt and it looks really good.Go ahead and give it a try
    !
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

Blog Entries
    Decorative stitches are my favorite when I finish my quilt tops. Nno complaints so far! LOL
    Last edited by coopah; 05-26-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: fingers faster than brain...or something! spelling!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I love the serpentine stitch. I use it a lot if I'm doing charity quilts and just stitch over the seams. It works really well because you don't have to stay right on the seam line. No one will know if you strayed a bit. Snd I think most machines will have a serpentine stitch if you fuss with the length, etc. Just once you get it right, record the settings!!

I use decorative stitches in my quilts frequently, it's become sort of my trademark!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I do it all the time. It works just fine. I just wish I could use some of the other decorative stitches but the back side would look funky.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I love to use the serpentine stitch. It's forgiving...you don't have to be quite as precise.

I agree with everyone, go for it! I use decorative stitches a lot (love the serpentine stitch) and usually grab a scrap of the fabric and try it out and if it looks good I proceed. It is most important to have fun while quilting!
    Last edited by T-Anne; 05-26-2012 at 07:08 AM.

My first few quilts were made on an old Singer that didn't do a lot, but I could do sort of serpentine stitch if I made the stitches big and wide enough. I made several using that on the borders after I tied the centers. The quilts are still together... and they didn't look hokey at all! (IMHO)

Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    My thought is always use what you like!!!! Thats what I do since I watched Alex Anderson on T.V. that was her thought as well.
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlin View Post
    I love the serpentine stitch. I use it a lot if I'm doing charity quilts and just stitch over the seams. It works really well because you don't have to stay right on the seam line. No one will know if you strayed a bit. Snd I think most machines will have a serpentine stitch if you fuss with the length, etc. Just once you get it right, record the settings!!
    How I wish I could " fuss with the length". I have 4 machines and not one of them will let me adjust the length of the serpentine stitch---it locks at 2.2.

Funny You should ask this. I have been thinking of using them as well. But, being the type person I am, I have been stitching out all of the built in stitches, about six inches of each design, onto fabric sample pages and numbering them. It is very hard to tell the size and design from the images that are so small on the card they provided.

I am just about half way through the built-ins on the bernina 440. Geez, I didn't realize how many were in that machine until I began this project! But, believe me. I was surprised at the size of some. And now I have them for later reference.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-26-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I like the look of the decoratives stitches on a lot of quilts. After all, I paid for them - so I use them!

Yes! I have used decorative stitches. I used a nice curly-cue (Spelling?) stitch in the binding and it turned out looking like a picture frame.
    :-)
    CAS

i have used all kinds of decorative stitches for quilting.I madealog cabin that was all red white and blue and for the quilting i had the words to the star spangled banner used as the quilting(I sent this one to a longarmer)
    But its a Dry Heat!

So nice to hear that the quilt police won't come and get me 'cause I use the decorative stitches on my quilts all the time (the ones I don't tie) I don't know how to FMQ and I find the decorative stitches work just fine for me.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Can you use your walking foot with the decorative stitches? My LQS told me I should only use the straight stitch when using the walking foot.

Blog Entries
    I can use a decorative stitch with the Elna's walking foot, but I've heard that you can't with some. I didn't need a walking foot when I did the black quilt. I just loosened the pressure on the presser foot a bit. I haven't been able to get to the quilt today. You've all made me want to try the stitch. I will do a little bit with red shiny thread and a little with the red/white varigated and see which I want to use. I'm betting on the solid red.

I have a beautiful scrolly stitch on my Pfaff 2054 (don't know what it is called) but was thinking of doing it in a soft gold stitch on the white sashing around the blocks before quilting. Not edge to edge, but maybe 4" long segments centered in the sashing of each block. Just something different to give it a little lift. It is my first quilt so I didn't get wild with the fabrics. :-)
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I use the serpentine stitch regularly. Comes out great. I use other decorative stitches as well.
    I love the serpentine stitch & think it would be great. Maybe try it on a scrap & then, pedal to the metal!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I always use the serpentine stitch to sitd. I do this even if I'm going to FM in the blocks. My quilts will NEVER come apart....LOL!

Forgot to say; I have a Janome 6600 and I always use the built in walking foot. I never have tucks or wrinkles on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    I always use the serpentine stitch to sitd. I do this even if I'm going to FM in the blocks. My quilts will NEVER come apart....LOL!

I used the serpentine stitch on a baby quilt I made and it worked out fine. I really liked the effect. My daughter took a quilting class and they used the decorative stitches on every block. It was gorgeous! You paid for all those stitches, might as well get some good out of them!

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I made a wallhanging using decorative stitches in the sashing. It gave me a great opportunity to test out some of those fancy stitch designs on my machine. My only problem was that I couldn't use the walking foot IF the stitch had a backwards motion. (Walking feet don't like to go back)
    Hmmm, I didn't know that fact about the walking foot. So glad to have picked up this bit of information this morning. BTW, I have used the serpentine stitch with the little leaves (looks like a vine) going down the middle of the sashings on a baby quilt. Worked out very nicely.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast