Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Decorative stitches on quilts??

Blog Entries

Decorative stitches on quilts??

I'm not talking about as part of the design, but as part of the quilting. I usually SITD around the inch wide strip I use to contain the color in a quilt - the first border. I have a vintage Montgomery Wards machine that does a very large serpentine stitch. Any thoughts on going down the center of the strip with that in a matching thread - red on red? I have two vertical strips in the quilt that will require the same procedure. Will it look hoky? I have no burning desire to SITD on white with red thread, but it can be done. The quilt already has some machine appliqued flowers, so it has decorative stitching on it now so it wouldn't be a 'new' element.

I don't see why not if you like the idea. So far the quilt police have not arrested me for any of the unusual things I've done!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    I don't see why not if you like the idea. So far the quilt police have not arrested me for any of the unusual things I've done!
    I couldn't help but laughing at your reply.....I know I've done so many off the wall things with quilts....mostly because I've done something wrong and can't figure out any other way to fix it....so I agree 100%, if you like it, go for....maybe try it on a scrap first.

Blog Entries
    I think it would just appear as a quilting stitch, much like if you used a long arm to do some quilting in a sashing area. I think it is a great idea! Be sure to show us.

I use the serpentine stitch regularly. Comes out great. I use other decorative stitches as well.

I was "taught" by wonderful person who was willing to teach me how to quilt. Me, having no sewing experience at all, I accepted all of her rules and most of the time I was sure it was "THE LAW". But this board took off the handcuffs and I have used many decorative stitches on my quilts. I would get bored with straight stich in the ditch. It give your quilts a twist that you are not going to find anywhere else.

Blog Entries
    I did it on the Jewel Box, but the black on black didn't show and the recipient doesn't sew. This one goes to my #1 daughter who does sew and can sew a much straighter seam than I can. She doesn't quilt much, but when she does, it's with little pieces and perfect. I'm jealous, but it's just a difference in us. When she was younger, she did all my topstitching on apparel.

The quilt itself is FMQed, not STID. Double flower in the snowball blocks and meander in the 9Ps.
    Last edited by irishrose; 05-25-2012 at 09:22 AM.

I know a couple people who love their serpentine stitch for quilting. Go for it!
    Carol in Michigan

Before my MIL got too sick to sit with me sewing; she would pick the decorative stitches on my machine to put on one of her quilts not yet quilted. She loved the decorative stitches and she was a traditional quilter. So "go for it". Teresa

Blog Entries
    I made a wallhanging using decorative stitches in the sashing. It gave me a great opportunity to test out some of those fancy stitch designs on my machine. My only problem was that I couldn't use the walking foot IF the stitch had a backwards motion. (Walking feet don't like to go back)
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Yes! Go for it. Quilters are unique and creative. We learn by trial and error or trial and awesomeness I personally love using decorative stitches, especially on binding. I sew the front and flip it to the back like normal, then take decorative stitch down the front to catch the back and give it a cute design. We all quilt differently, we all have things that work for us and not others. If you find something you like and don't see in other quilts, show it off, someone else may love it to and use your idea.
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

I used several decorative stitches when quilting a French braid quilt, one of my earliest quilts. I think it worked out very well.

Blog Entries
    I use decorative stitches all the time and like the look. They are great for quick quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I'm not talking about as part of the design, but as part of the quilting. I usually SITD around the inch wide strip I use to contain the color in a quilt - the first border. I have a vintage Montgomery Wards machine that does a very large serpentine stitch. Any thoughts on going down the center of the strip with that in a matching thread - red on red? I have two vertical strips in the quilt that will require the same procedure. Will it look hoky? I have no burning desire to SITD on white with red thread, but it can be done. The quilt already has some machine appliqued flowers, so it has decorative stitching on it now so it wouldn't be a 'new' element.
    I would kill to have a machine that has a large serpentine stitch on it for that very purpose. My machines default to a 2.2 stitch length which is much too tight for my taste. I would also like to use it to stitch over the ditch on my children's charity quilts.

by all means YES!! Just take one word of advice ... use a walking foot. Ask me how I know
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

The older Vikings like the 1+ had a serpentine type stitch. It was on a card and you could adjust it. Older Pfaffs before the CV had Maxi stitches you can program in on the machine. The CV series probably also has it. These are embroidery machines, though.

I've used all the stitches for crazy quilting, some work just fine for straight quilting. Use your imagination. Grab some fabric and try it.

Certain machines like my Pfaff don't need a separate walking foot. They have IDT built in. The Babylock Quest has a good IDT.

I use embroidery stitches to quilt on some of my quilts. I use a more open design rather than a dense one because it moves with the machine better with all three layers. It really adds to the quilt design. I have used verigated thread to do the stitching too. I learned that there are no rules in quilting and if you like something, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always take it out. I usually experimented on a scrap quilt sandwich to see how the stitch would look first. It saved me from a couple stitches that didn't work out well on the thickness on the batting.
    Last edited by maryb119; 05-25-2012 at 04:50 PM.

I have used a blanket stitch instead of a satin stitch on many, many Christmas stockings and really like the look of something different. I think it will be fabulous whatever you decide.

By all means...use it! It'll look wonderful! I used that same stitch down the middle of the narrow border on a doll quilt I made for my DGD; white on white and it looked great. She loved it...thought it was sooo fancy and perfect for her Princess doll quilt!!
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Blog Entries
    The vintage Montgomery Wards (made by Juki) was a Salvation Army rescue. $13. My Elna has a serpentine stitch that I've used for a lot of things, but the machine is only straight stitching as it curves back and forth. The MW serpentine curves back and forth with a small zigzag almost like a satin stitch so it's much more impressive. Varigated thread? I'm FMQ with a red/white varigated. It's a thought, but I don't want to detract from the appliqued panel. I used satin stitch and buttonhole stitch both on the panel. The Elna does a wonderful satin stitch. The MW didn't need a walking foot when I did the Jewel Box, but if it does, I can use the Elna's which is actually a Janome as both the Elna and the MW are short shank machines.

Thank you, everyone. Sooner or later, I'll post a picture.

Blog Entries
    I agree .... just go for it! I have used decorative stitches and really enjoyed the results.
    Brenda

I say go for it! Sounds pretty!

I've heard of a lot of people using a serpentine stitch in their quilting. It would probably add movement and interest.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Go for. I often use decorative stitches as part of my my machine quilting ans I like it.

Go for it! I'm sure it will look great and be very interesting. Just be very careful to match the reds; they can be so different in color!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast