Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Definitions - Modern Quilt? Traditional Quilt? >

Definitions - Modern Quilt? Traditional Quilt?

Definitions - Modern Quilt? Traditional Quilt?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Post Definitions - Modern Quilt? Traditional Quilt?

What is the definition of a "modern" quilt?

Or - for that matter -

What is the definition of a "tradtional" quilt?

And when does "modern" become "traditional"?

I sort of "get" sorting/defining quilts by the methods used in constructing them and/or quilting them.

I also - sort of "get" - how a pattern that I think is traditional - such as Churn Dash - can look very different if done in little pastel florals on a white background as compared to using cobalt blue and intense yellow on a black background.

Or is it one of those "I should be able to recognize it when I see it " sort of things?

But - one of the problems/issues/conditions I have is - both my Mom and my Grandma B were very individualistic in how they did things - so what they did as "practical" sort of looks "modern" now.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:17 PM

I was recently gifted a vintage book on "modern" quilting from the 70's, and I thought it was very interesting to see that a lot of things that I see in current "modern" quilts are not new ideas; or at least not as new as I thought they were.

Things like improvisational piecing, lots of large pieces of solids, and a focus on the quilting - those are all things I thought were relatively new trends in modern quilting, but apparently they've been around (and identified as "modern" quilting) for quite some time!

So...how old can something be, and still be "modern"?

It's definitely the most interesting of the "old" quilting books I've come across. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, though.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 PM

I have looked a photos of the 'Quilts from Gees Bend' and many of those look like many modern quilts you see today.
I too would like to know the difference between Modern and Traditional quilts.
Mike
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM

I believe a key concept in differentiating between traditional and modern quilts is repetition. Are you making the same unit 354 times? If so, it's probably safe to identify that as a traditional quilt.

Modern quilts are less repetitive in design and tend to use larger pieces, with fabric of brighter color and wilder texture, lots of white and empty space.

But in the end, I do think it's a case of 'know it when you see it.'
Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Am I the only one or do others find the desire to separate modern quilting from traditional quilting tiresome? Can't they all just be quilts made by individuals who lean towards an aesthetic that is pleasing to them?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:48 AM

I don't find it tiresome. I think the progression of quilting as an art is fascinating, as are the differences in traditional and modern quilt designs, and in modern and traditional fabric designs. Categorizing is part of the process of understanding.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

To me traditional means using the old patterns. Modern means not using them. Sounds simplistic doesn't it?
I like so many quilts I've seen. I tend to make more traditional styles but have been slowly evolving.
I think it's all good.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
Am I the only one or do others find the desire to separate modern quilting from traditional quilting tiresome? Can't they all just be quilts made by individuals who lean towards an aesthetic that is pleasing to them?
I'm with you. When I look at Quilty magazine, that fits my expectation of Modern, that and a lot of shades of grey color. The older I get, the more I like the quilt patterns that are more sharp and bare bones designs. I feel that Jenny includes everything in her Block magazine. She also has another quilt publication that is more modern and less fussy. Go for what looks good to you and don't try to label it.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:22 PM

The Modern Quilting Guild has given this definition:
Modern quilts are primarily functional and inspired by modern design. Modern quilters work in different styles and define modern quilting in different ways, but several characteristics often appear which may help identify a modern quilt. These include, but are not limited to: the use of bold colors and prints, high contrast and graphic areas of solid color, improvisational piecing, minimalism, expansive negative space, and alternate grid work. “Modern traditionalism” or the updating of classic quilt designs is also often seen in modern quilting.(https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/wh...-modern-quilt/)
Traditional quilting definitions are not that easy to state in a few words but follow along the line of the following:

Traditional quilts are quilts that have been made in the past, generally before the quilting revival of the 1970s. Because of the methodology of sharing quilt patterns, the majority of these quilts are made using patchwork techniques. Most of them are made with traditional quilt blocks that are combined to make a traditional quilt and adhere to the "rules of quilting". (https://hubpages.com/art/What-is-a-Traditional-Quilt)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 AM

What is modern vs traditional is different today than it was 10 years ago and will be in another 10 years! The way I define it when someone asks for a more modern quilt is that I picture a bedroom all white, chrome and minimalist. Would this pattern look good in it? This is fairly easy for me to do because my oldest daughter is this sort of person. I find her house boring, she sees it modern (beiges, taupe, black with a bare minimum furniture and the only decorative items are candles that she changes seasonally). She got an illusions quilt in various greys and creams and a floating triangles quilt in taupe and charcoal. If she would like it, I figure it is modern!