Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dellusion of grandure >

Dellusion of grandure

Dellusion of grandure

Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM

I find that if I have a few other projects going I can switch to something else if I am tired of doing the same thing. This may account for having some UFOs around here!!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM

When I have a ton of the same blocks to do, I do them assembly line. If I make just one then it's like, "been there, done that." I will make all the parts for all of the blocks at once. Each of 30 block needs 4 HSTs? Then I make 120 HSTs, just running them through one after another. Then move on to the next part of the blocks. At the end, I am assembling ALL of the blocks at the same time.

It keeps me moving on a quilt when I'm going onto the next part of the blocks all the time.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

i have always told everyone ... " i am way to un-disciplined to make this twice!" i never seem to make the same thing twice...and that includes blocks sometimes. when i made the Amazing Grace quilt...i needed 22 pineapple blocks...it took me 6 months to make those 22 blocks...gosh i hated those blocks...and am so glad i stuck with it to the end because they transformed the quilt from just another nice quilt to a 'spectacular quilt!" but oh my goodness i hated ever step of those 22 blocks! i guess that is why i design my own quilts usually and don't follow patterns, i don't have the -stick to it ness- to make 24 of the same block i make 2 or 3 blocks then i'm bored with them and ready to do something else---BIG TIME A.D.D.! :thumbup:
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Administrator

don't feel like a failure. so what if you don't enjoy the "long haul" required for bigger projects?

i rarely make anything bigger than an oversized lap because i get bored long before i get to bedsized.

if you really do want to make something larger than usual, consider making a sampler. since each block is different, you won't get bored as quickly by the concept of the whole project.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 AM

when i begin a large quilt, i make ONE block to test the directions for errors, then if i like what i see and the directions are good, i cut all the fabric for all the blocks. then i chain each block following each step of the dirrections....in other words, i do the same step over and over and over again for each block, then move on the to the next step. it does get a bit monotonius (sp?) but it does keep me going because all the fabric has been cut and i don't want to waste it!! i usually try to do bigger blocks 9 to 12 inches with pieces in the 2 1/2 to 3 inch size. 20 to 45 blocks will give you a very nice sized lap to snuggle sized quilt.

oh yea, i usually have 4 or more projects going at once too. one or two biggies and then a couple of mug rugs or table runners that make up pretty quick!!

jodi
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 AM

I think that is why we have so many things in progress. We get bored working on the same thing.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 AM

I don't like to do the same steps over and over. It's more time efficient, but bores me. I cut pieces for a few blocks. Sew a few blocks. Cut a few blocks. Etc.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 AM

You are normal. LOL I don't know how many WIPs I have going and they are all different sizes. I just work on whatever I feel like working on at the time.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by tweezy50
Does anyone else do this, or is it just me.

I start out with a plan. Goning to make a quilt to fit our queen size bed. Make four or five blocks. They are passing, for my standards. Not great but good enough. then I get bored with it and make them into a table runner or lap size quilt instaed of the queen size.

I feel like a failure even though they turn out fine because they aren't the size I originally intended. How can I maintain the focus needed to finish the size I wanted to begin with or atleast not look at them as failures?
Geez Louise, I'm a total failure then. I've run into this so many times. If it happens to me, I put the whole thing aside and let it sit for a while and if I still feel the same way when I see it again, I do something with the already made blocks or send them off to a UFO orphanage and repurpose the rest of the fabric. Sometimes things just don't work for me in spite of my best intentions and I figure I only have so long on this planet. There are things I must do, and things I should do, but quilting is my play time and should be fun. Nothing else matters.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 AM

That's what I do...or did when I made K size quilts with all the same blocks.Don't do that anymore....Kind of envy ppl who can keep several quilts going at same time. I have neither room nor patience for that method.Once started, I'm on a mission to get it done.

Think I'm more intersted in the technique...once I master a block, it's boring & I become interested in the next in line.

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
When I have a ton of the same blocks to do, I do them assembly line. If I make just one then it's like, "been there, done that." I will make all the parts for all of the blocks at once. Each of 30 block needs 4 HSTs? Then I make 120 HSTs, just running them through one after another. Then move on to the next part of the blocks. At the end, I am assembling ALL of the blocks at the same time.

It keeps me moving on a quilt when I'm going onto the next part of the blocks all the time.