Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Derek Lockwood >

Derek Lockwood

Derek Lockwood

Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
Yes! Yes! Yes! And Wow! Wow! Wow!

The patterns selected are wonderful, beautiful, etc, etc. It will be hard to decide which to make first. I really liked the Fan Dance, #162 and will be ordering it.

Suz
Must have missed that one! I'm not looking again though--out of moola and no willpower!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks!! Preciate it!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM

I've done 2 of the Links bargellos and love them. His quilts are wonderful and I love your choices. Let us know when you start them. Lots of pics. :)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks to all of you who responded!! This is kinda fun, huh? I wanted the bargello Links. It is stunning. I love bargello and his are outstanding and he claims they are not hard!! We'll see...I've made bargello before and it was not difficult but it looks like it and I luuuuuuuuuuv that!! Thanks again....
Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM

I made his celestial garden quilt (bought pattern in Branson,Mo) about four years ago, It went together easily. It is so pretty that it still lives at my house. His instructions are easy to follow.
n2quilts
Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 PM

I have several of his patterns and have made a few . One I did I see listed on another site as a "fast and Easy" .... it was NOT fast. it took more than 300 hours to complete...( not including quilting) And I am an experienced quilter. Had I not spent all the money on the material and had 60 hours into it I would not have done it. The pattern was pretty but for the hours I would have done something different. See photo. It is one inch strips finished to 1/2 inch squares. yes there are strips but each row is different .. lots and lots and lots of unsewing and re-sewing strip sets. It is about 68 inches by 68 inches.
Love his work but this one.... was more work than I had expected. Did I mention I ordered the pattern in the beginning of Oct. and needed to complete it by Christmas. I finally had to make a "production schedule" for myself, each day with a specific amout that had to get done.
Just be cautious easy does not always equal fast ... Although like I said I saw this listed on a site as Easy and fast.

Link to site http://www.lockwoodquilts.com/
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72663.jpe  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM

WOW! your quilt is wonderful!
Of course I didn't put in the time but I think well worth it!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 AM

Great!! Thank you for the info. His quilts are so beautiful I just have to make one and I'm glad it will be fairly easy!!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 AM

Thanks for responding and for the words of wisdom!! I will be cautious. May I also say that you did a beautiful job with this "difficult" easy project!! I have had this type of experience either with difficult instructions...difficult to follow/understand...or just plain difficult, easy projects!! Needless to say, I only made one of those!! It is really beautiful, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the compliment. I do have increasing concerns in regards to those who are "self -publishing" patterns. With some self -published patterns there seems to be more risk of the pattern not being a good quality pattern. That is not to say the design is not good ,but I am finding they can be lacking in directions. This lacking can be anything from a missed step in the instructions to difficult to follow in a step by step manner. Other issues are as basic as ...errors in the required materials or method that is not clearly explained , because the author assumes the consumer has an understanding of a method used.
I can editorialize on this subject, but with so many patterns so easily available to us...which is a good thing... some are not a top "quality" as others.
I really look forward to more postings on other "self published" patterns.