Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design advice >

Design advice

Design advice

Old 06-11-2018, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

When I make T-shirt quilts I start with fusing the stabilizer onto the T-shirts then cutting out the logos, decals, designs. I leave a fairly large amount around each one- figuring I will square them up, determine size& shape as I go along. Then when I have them all cut out I take them to my bedroom & start laying them out on my bed, rearranging, moving things around until I have a layout I like. ( I do have a design wall, but have found using the bed easier for T-shirt quilts. ) one I have the layout I like I start measuring, figuring out what I need to do to make things fit together. I often work in sections, trimming, sewing a section at a time, laying it back out & creating the next section.
Last one I made was actually a hockey Jersey quilt- boy, it was a job! And a heavy quilt. The recipient loves it though.
Attached Thumbnails 75225e32-b43d-4857-a67d-23aafbc52e30.jpeg  
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 AM

i made one for a lady she furnished all that i needed but i do not have to do that again.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:13 AM

I always just kind of wing it when I make t-shirt quilts. I find it easier to work on the floor than my design wall. I rarely add the narrow sashing. I usually mark out on the floor the size with painters tape. I interface and cut out the larger designs and lay them out in a way that I like. I cut them a little bit oversized. I then do the same with the medium sized designs. I go to the smaller designs last and cut those to fill in the holes. I trim the pieces to make it fit. Hope this makes sense.
I am not a plan ahead type of person. I usually plan as I go along on most of my quilts.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
Lisa Capen has a three part video series on a collage type t-shirt quilt. It is very informative. Link is below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UB-6D_qgIU
This is a very good video.

I hope this is a good friend. I'm not sure I would tackle this for anyone short of my sister.

I'm not a real experienced quilter. I think I'm on quilt #7. I recently made a quilt from a panel. It had different sized blocks and sashing. It was not an easy project to get everything to fit and line up. I probably made it three times, with all the ripping out and resewing. But, at least I had a picture to follow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595843[/ATTACH]

I disagree with others on one thing. This quilt does not have partial seams. It's made in sections. If you'll look at it carefully, you can see the sections. Whomever made it fit all the sections together and then sashed it which would work.

I think 47 t-shirts may be too many for one quilt unless a lot of them are small.

The quilt in the picture is done in sections. It doesn't use partial seams. It will take graph paper, a large table or a lot of crawling around on the floor to get this one designed. It would be much easier to do in strips or same sized blocks.

I didn't outline all the blocks, but you get the idea, I'm sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595845[/ATTACH]

Good luck.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails demo.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:08 AM
anonymous

Are you sure you want to do it?? Friends have no idea what they are asking and how much time is involved.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:08 AM

This looks a lot like a t-shirt quilt made from Andrea T. Funk’s book How to Make a Too Cool T-shirt Quilt, except sashing is added to the pieces. This method does not use stabilizer! The t-shirts are cut in multiples of 4: 4x4, 4x8, 8x4, etc to 16x16. There is a formula to determine the quilt size and a CAD (computer assisted design) program to determine layout. I don’t know CAD, so I cut representative blocks from cardboard stock, (the book recommends paper, but I could not get the small paper pieces to stay in place with my fingers) to determine layout. The book also shows how to quilt your quilt on a long arm. I took a class at my LQS and made two t-shirt quilts, and love the softness of the t-shirt quilts without stabalizer. However, I think the added sashing would change the dimensions and layout of the t-shirt quilt.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

bkay, when assembling the units of several blocks that you outlined a partial seam is required when attaching unit 4 to unit 1 and when attaching unit 6 to the assembled top. There is no way to connect these pieces without doing a partial seam about where I put the yellow arrows. This is how you achieve that random look of different size blocks abutting one another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595846[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tshirt-quilt-layout-partial-seams.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 AM

Eleanor Burns (Quilt in a Day) has a good T-Shirt quilt video. I often refer customers that are making their first T-Shirt quilt to this vid. She uses different sized logos including pocket ones and sleeve logos. There are many, many, many You Tube T-Shirt videos that are rubbish! I think one of the hardest parts is to figure your layout design. I like to lay a sheet on the bed and keep playing with the layout. I leave it on the bed and every time I walk in the room, I look at it. If something is out of place, it will tell you. Keep doing this until you finally walk in, see it and smile! Then role up the sheet so you maintain that layout. As far as assembling it, the sashing will pull all the different sizes together.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
bkay, when assembling the units of several blocks that you outlined a partial seam is required when attaching unit 4 to unit 1 and when attaching unit 6 to the assembled top. There is no way to connect these pieces without doing a partial seam about where I put the yellow arrows. This is how you achieve that random look of different size blocks abutting one another.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595846[/ATTACH]
You're right.

bkay
Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 PM

You can also sew the 6 block partially to the 4 block, sew that to the 1 block (which has been sewn to the 2 and 3 blocks), then sew on the 5 block. The only partial seam is the 6 block to the 4-5 blocks.

Why does everyone seem so afraid of partial seams. I think they are fun. I made my Square Family quilt with all partial seams. Each square is made of strips around an center block. The squares were 3, 6, 9 and 12 inches. They had 1 to 6 rows of strips around each one, all partial seamed. I loved doing it.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-11-2018 at 02:06 PM.