Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Design board

Sunnye - I LOVE your comment. Most of us are looking for "inexpensive" items that work. Thank you.
    Dodee

My design board is a very large sheet of foam insulation board from Lowe's.
    I bought a couple of yards of white flannel from Joann's and washed it to shrink up. Then I placed it crosswise on my design board so that I actually have two pieces, the overlap occurring in the middle of the insulation board...I simply pinned it on to the back of the foam insulation board. It was easy to make it nice and tight and I had enough overlap so there was plenty of coverage.
    When the bottom section of the flannel gets too dirty or picks up too many threads or "shudder" gets hit by my boy dog as territory (mine has to be moveable-not enought space to mount on wall) I just unpin the bottom portion and throw it in the washer. Perfect. Repin and go on my way. I love this design board as I can either pin things in place due to the thickness of the foam board (about 2 inches) or I can place squares on the flannel and they stick. I wouldn't bother with a flannel table cloth because they wrinkle too much when washed.

I also used some cheap batting to cover my insulation board...works like magic!

Blog Entries
    I suggest this to... I found one that is striped and use it to line up my rows....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    Ditto that. The flannel backed tablecloth works great. My material never falls off and it's so inexpensive (that's fancy for cheap!).

Thanks to someone's suggestion on here, I have a flannel backed tablecloth. I just attached it to the wall with tack (right under the crown molding, so the holes can't be seen) and I love it. $3.97 @ WM. Whoever suggested this is a genius!!!

This site didn't not come up for me...............oh my your Iris is gorgeous.

I use a large bulletin board with cork, then I covered it with some batting and then pull the batting to the back side and sew with needle and lots of long thread to sew it to hold all together on the backside pulling all edges together. I also added a small amount of padding underneath the top batting for extra cushioning. My quilting squares or blocks stick to it, plus the cork board makes it easy to use pins if I want to. To me it is easier to buy cheep batting from Walmart or elsewhere to use......

I used warm and natural batting, has been there for about 10 years...getting to look a little shabby, but it holds everything well.

I use a flannel backed tablecloth pinned to the wall. Works great.

I really like the flannel backed tablecloths because you can fold them and take them with you. I do this when I go to our quilt meetings or am stuck and need some design help. They work great.

Nancy/Ohio

The flannel-backed tablecloth that I have doesn't seem to be holding the blocks well, even with pins, so I'm going to check out the insulation board idea.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

We used a king sized, plush microfleece blanket ($12 on sale at Target) My husband stapled the edges around furring strips and nailed it up on the wall. It can even hold up a finished (quilted and bound) queen size quilt with no pinning. For us it doesn't matter that it is not portable, because we use it to display quilts when there is not a big one in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by RV Quilter View Post
    Since I have space limitations in the RV a flannel backed tablecloth is ideal for me to use as a design board. Lay it on the bed and design. If you stop, just fold/roll up the tablecloth and it saves the design for you. When you're ready to work again just unroll it and you're ready to continue.
    I don't live in an RV - yet - but I like that idea of rolling it up and then just unroll and continue when you are ready. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    I used a plain flannel sheet that I got at the Salvation Army for 99 cents and it works quite nicely -and you can't beat the price under $6 for a design board

Blog Entries
    Don't use felt!!! I used felt on my design wall since it came in a wide width and I didn't want a seam in my design wall. However, fabric does not stick to the felt as well as flannel. Joann's is now carrying a wide width of flannel, but it doesn't come in white or off white. That is why I didn't purchase it originally and went with the felt. Batting works great also, but my design wall rolls up on a roller (over my closet) and I was afraid it would stick to itself too much and not pull down well. My DH made my roller design wall from an outdoor roller shade and I attached the felt to it. Now I am taking the felt off and need to put something else on. Has anyone pieced the flannel for their design wall?
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Hmm, this discussion of design walls has be eyeballing a wall in my bedroom, because my sewing room is too small for a design wall. I do have a 3x3 design wall made from foam core board covered with flannel. It works, and can be hidden behind a sewing cabinet when not in use, but is too small for a whole quilt. I'm liking the tablecloth idea, but I do have some fleece that isn't being used. The cheap batting seems like a good idea, but you'd have to glue it to something to prevent it from sagging.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

I also have a Block Butler... I have it on a curtain rod w/ rings. It is mounted on my closet door and give easy acess to the closet as it just slides to either side.. I like to place blocks on it and just step back and decide how I really want them placed... Some times this takes days to decide..but it is fun

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiem View Post
    I have a Block Butler and it is great. I'd tried insulation, but the felines who run my house used it to sharpen their claws... major mess... So I invested in the Block Butler and it hasn't left my wall since early February. Everything sticks to it beautifully, without pins, and enables me to really plan colour choices and designs. It is one of those things that makes me wonder how on earth I got along without it!

Blog Entries
    No foam board for mine - just thumb tacked inexpensive white flannel to the wall - the first one I did I sewed a wide hem and slid a long dowel in the top first and hung, the next time around I dropped the hem - I have one in my bedroom, and one in my livingroom which is where I do my sewing...

use flannel-back tablecloth it works perfect..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2