Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall idea......??? >

Design Wall idea......???

Design Wall idea......???

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Update to my design wall....Our JoAnn's store is moving to the other side of the expressway and they are selling everything in the store at a discount. I picked up 1 1/2 yards of white plastic flannel-backed tablecloth fabric and a cafe rod and round spring clips. DH hung the rod and I hemmed the top and bottom of the tablecloth. We hung it like a curtain and it works like a charm. When I don't need it I just pull it to the right side. I"ve stitch a couple of Paula Vaughn quilt cross-stitch pictures and hung those securely behind the design wall. It works out perfectly and you don't even notice the 'curtain' design wall when it's pulled to the side. I will take a picture of it tonight and post to share. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your picture! :-)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 AM

My sewing room is my side of the bedroom so space is tight. I wanted something with a sturdy frame that I could move easily. I wound up covering a artist canvas (on sale) with white flannel (also on sale) and attached two hinged D rings to hang it. I like that there is support behind the flannel and I can stick a pin in it if I have to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]406355[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_2078.jpg  

Last edited by mitmeg; 04-05-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: grammar!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 PM

What a great idea!! I'm going to check out big canvasses!
Originally Posted by mitmeg View Post
My sewing room is my side of the bedroom so space is tight. I wanted something with a sturdy frame that I could move easily. I wound up covering a artist canvas (on sale) with white flannel (also on sale) and attached two hinged D rings to hang it. I like that there is support behind the flannel and I can stick a pin in it if I have to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]406355[/ATTACH]
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM

I saw a video of Eleanor Burns' sewing studio re-do where they used automotive head-liner material as the design wall medium. I have the Fons & Porter hanging design wall, which we hung using the small clear Command hooks. It occasionally goes on sale at Connecting Threads for a decent price.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM

I have 2 pieces of foam insulation wrapped in warm and natural, attached to a frame and screwed to the studs in the wall -- DSIL did a great job. I have had it for 12 years and I have not had to replace the insulation board. It is on the wall behind the door into the room -- I love it!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM

2 yards of 60" wide fleece give me a wall 72X60. I put it up with Velcro - sticky back for the wall and sew on for the fleece - it came packaged like that at WalMart. No pins needed unless I hang a whole quilt. The only thing that disturbs blocks is a certain Border Collie's tail. It's easy to pull down and put back up if needed because of the Velcro.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I just read in the RV post about using the command hooks and binder clips to hang a design wall. That would be even easier than grommets. I bought a good quality tablecloth on the bolt at Joann's to use. I picked a plain cream colored vinyl so that the design wouldn't show through. I also made sure that the back was nice and thick -better than some tablecloths.
I like this idea. I was going to use the tablecloth idea, but thumbtack it to the wall. But this makes a lot more sense.