Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great Idea for a design wall! >

Great Idea for a design wall!

Great Idea for a design wall!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM

So I had posted pictures a while back of my sewing room move and redo with no money. Now we are talking NO space - I think I have every inch of the walls covered with shelves, hanging things, etc. I have a big bulletin board that I batted and covered and thought 'ok there's my design wall'. Wrong! That board I want to use for pinning up patterns, directions, scraps, inspiration pieces - bottom line is I need a design wall as well!

So here is what I am going to do. The only free wall space I have is behind my door on the same side as the bulletin board. I could mount the design wall there but I don't want to close the door. So I am going to Home Depot this weekend to buy the sliding closet door hardware. I will mount the hardware to the ceiling about 2 inches away from the wall. I will take a piece of 1 x 2 cut to length and attach the little rollers and hardware to it. Then I will take my batting cut to width and length, bind it, and attach to the 1 x 2. Hang, and voila! a moveable design wall that can be hung behind the door when not in use and slid in front of the bulletin board when I need it! Cool, huh?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Pictures please when you get it done!:)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Very clever! Sounds great.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Would love to see pictures when you are done. I've been trying to think of something in the same place for the same reason. :)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM

I have one that is similar. Mine is a huge fleece blanket that I have on a rod that goes across our bedroom. It doubles as a curtain so if the kids walk in we still have some privacy. I can push it aside during the day or when its not needed. I do have to pin my blocks to it but it works!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138622.jpe  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Please , pretty please I would love to see it also. I might be able to use your ideal.
:thumbup:
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM

My sewing room was our middle bedroom when dearest children lived at home. When I took it over I removed the bi-folding doors to the closet and hung long drapes instead. They cover the hoard behind quite nicely and the drapes are now covered with pinned pieces of more than one project I'm currently working on.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Please , pretty please I would love to see it also. I might be able to use your ideal.
:thumbup:
OK picture as promised. Now I will say this - I got it all done, it works well - BUT if I had to make another one, I wouldn't use track. For one thing I needed 90" of track and trying to match the ends of each 30" section so the rollers would roll smoothly was really a problem. It was also expensive! What I would suggest is this: go to Home Depot and buy a Glacier Bay wood towel rack. Buy also a wooden dowel that is the width of the towel rack dowel (about 1/2") and as long as you want it. Take the dowel that comes with the towel rack and replace it with the really long dowel you bought. Mount the rack to the wall or ceiling. Use curtain hooks or make a sleeve for your batting (if you are going to do this, the put the sleeve through the dowel before you mount it - remember that the dowel is NOT removeable once mounted) and hang the batting. Now one thing I am not sure of is the maximum length you can have the dowel before it starts to bow (also remember that you can't put a bracket halfway to support the dowel) but I would suspect a lot because there is no weight on the dowel. Perhaps someone knows? Anyway here is the picture of the one I made using the track and the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170183.jpe