Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall  made easy >

Design Wall made easy

Design Wall made easy

Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM

I have a plastic flannel backed tablecloth one that I hang on the wall...works great...but I like the idea of the smaller one for auditioning blocks.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:12 PM

I made one today, so many thanks for the idea. I had a canvas here and flannel and my hubby taught me how to use a staple gun. Now I want to staple everything! LOL!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM

I saw a tip on a Fon's and Porter show that said you can glue flannel to one of those old style white, room darkening window blinds and then roll it up and travel with it, or hang it in your sewing room. Might not be really wide, but it would be nice for smaller pieces/spaces.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 AM

I'm going to be making a one-block wonder (having been inspired by some threads on this board) and will really need a design wall...actually a big one. However, my sewing room is actually our dining room, so I can't do anything to the walls that is permanent.

Any ideas on how to mount some kind of design wall so that it can be taken down when the room serves another purpose?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 AM

I had my husband hang a piece of insulation 4 feet by 8 feet on a wall in my sewing room. And it even comes in a light blue color so it's not ugly! :) I'm trying to arrange my stack and whack pieces how I want them and it really helps! And it sure beats crawling around on the floor. :)
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 AM

I don't have an empty wall in my sewing room for a design wall. So when I'm ready to lay out a quilt top. I just throw a bedsheet across the top of the door. A few large safety pens in the back to hold it in place. It works great for crib/lap size quilts. After the quilt is pieced I take the sheet down till I need to layout another quilt. I have been doing this for years and works great.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I'm going to be making a one-block wonder (having been inspired by some threads on this board) and will really need a design wall...actually a big one. However, my sewing room is actually our dining room, so I can't do anything to the walls that is permanent.

Any ideas on how to mount some kind of design wall so that it can be taken down when the room serves another purpose?
Get one of the dollar store flannel back table cloths. Also buy a pkg or 2 or 3 of the binder clips - the black things that flip open and then spring shut that are used in offices for large piles of paper. Get pushpins too while there. For about $6 you can have a portable design wall. The small holes the pushpins make can be easily filled when you want to clean up the wall and repaint. The more pushpins you put in the wall, the better they will hold the weight of the tablecloth without it pulling out the pins and falling.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM

SUPER IDEA.... Also, for a cutting table, my DH cut me a piece of plywood, edged underneath to fit the sewing machine, placed a latch (like on the old closet doors/crib doors) to hook under the ironing board on the back side to keep it steady. Cut the size as the store-bought grided cloth mat with the corner staps (use discount coupons). I now have a removable working board for cutting/measuring/ironing. and it takes up just a little more space than the ironing board - not an extra table you have to put somewhere. Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Use a plastic table cloth with the fannel back. This you can tac to the wall and take down when your done.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM

If you have a flannel flat sheet it can be used as a temporary design wall by hanging it over a door or pinning to a wall.