Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: design wall

Hi everyone. I just found/joined this list but can tell you all have lots of info. For those of you who have design boards or walls, could you give me some advice on which fabric to use (or not to use)? I have about a 6 x 8 foot wall space for it. I've heard flannel, fleece,& felt. What have you used & are you happy with it? Thanks. Ruth aka Nonna2

Ruth,
    I have a design wall made of flannel covered core boards. I love it! The flannel works most always but when I start layering fabric and I need to stick a pin in that's when the core board comes in handy. I'm a retired teacher so a flannel board just seemed natural to use!:lol:

This last week I decided I needed a flannel covered wall to hang some of my multiple projects so I don't forget them! I just stapled some flannel directly to the wall. Pretty soon I'll have the whole room covered in flannel!

My sister-in-law uses a flannel backed plastic table cloth that she had. She just tacked it up, flannel side out. Works a charm!

In a pinch my sister has used batting. I guess it's whatever's handy!

Thanks, Yvonne. Sounds great. Is the nap on the flannel an issue requiring direction, or does it matter?

Since it's just fuzzy I don't think it matters, mine works great.
    kathy

Ruth, When I started making my design wall I was using a sticky-back core board and scraps of flannel. I was just picking flannel that fit the board and sticking it on and nailing it to the wall. I'm sure I've got fabric grains and naps running everywhich way! No, I don't think it matters.

When I first read your note I was thinking, *napping on the walls? I can't sleep vertical!* Who's warped! :lol: No napping on my walls.

Suz
    Ruth, And my suggestion would be to use a tan-colored flannel. Dye it if necessary. Most flannels are white (like mine) and find it to be very stark, particularly when you are setting the blocks and will be using a alternate block. Tan is just softer.
    Someone on Alex Anderson sugguested the tan. Suz

I use flannel that is gridded. Works like a charm!

Anita

Anita,
    Where do you find the grided flannel? I was thinking to make mine from a sheet and flannel, but like the idea of it being grided. Or did you grid it?

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I think I found it at Hancock's, or maybe JoAnn's. Prior to that, I used a fine Sharpie and drew my own lines, which work okay, but isn't perfect.

I also have a foamcore board with just plain flannel on it that I use probably more than the bigger one with the grids. Sometimes the grids detract from what I am trying to see. However, it is great for getting rows straight, etc.

Hope this helps...

:)
    Anita

Hi Anita,
    Thanks for answering so quickly. I love this group for being so friendly and helpful. I don't know how it took me so long to find y'all...

Thanks for the info. I did a 3 square quilt for a friend of mine last summer and had real troubles getting the squares lined up to be able to "see" where I wanted to put the sashings, etc. with laying them all on the bed. I'm just going to have to figure out a way to mount a wall of some sort. I like the idea of the grid, if it's light enough to not distract me. But on the other hand, I like the idea of the foamcore board that I can put away when not in use. I have a very compact home now that our children are grown and gone and much as I'd love to have a bigger home just for my quilting, crafts, sewing, etc. I couldn't care for it so I look for ways to adjust, organize, and basically make it work well in small spaces.

Living on retirement savings and income sorely messes with my ideas of 'quilting spaces.'

Thanks, again

Hi Sharon,

I suggest, then, the 3 x 4 foamcore board. One can get really creative with the way they drape the unfinished top over and around it to see how things look. For borders and sashings, the size is big enough to give you an idea of what the quilt will look like, particularly if you put the corner of the top on the corner of the board. I have also used large pictures (hung on walls already) as something to put a half-finished top on to see how it looks, what will go with it, etc. Then there is patio doors, basement floors, the patio itself, a friend's place if they have a nice space to lay out a big quilt... you get the idea... the bed works, but only if you put a white sheet down over the quilt that is already there!

I finally got my own room for crafts when my SO and I moved into a 1700 square foot 4 bedroom house. I need to knock out the wall between the two adjoining bedrooms... not something that I foresee in the near future. I have too much stuff for a 10 x 12 room.

I see that you are the mother of a son in Iraq. My thoughts and prayers are with all our service people over in that unsettled area and with their families that are struggling with having a child there. Thankfully, my son did his hitch in the Army during the Cold War and was stationed in Germany.

Take care. Let me know how the foamcore works for you.

Anita

Thanks, Anita, I'm sure going to try it. I just happen to have one here in the sewing room office from my Christmas crafting.

Sharon

For an 'extra' design wall, I covered the back of the door in my sewing room with felt (just happened to have some left over from a project). I stapled it to the top of the door so as not to mess up the door face and since my felt was not long enough to reach the bottom, I just taped it to keep it from flopping around. You can re-stretch and re-tape when necessary. Its a bit narrow but doesn't take up room or have to be stored! Smiles Mary Quilter

I have a design wall, it's made with flanel and it was a frame made out of MDF all around, we stapled the flannel to the frame and screwed it to the wall, it works great.

I have a wall design wall I love it I have core bord then fanl that is 6-7 and it white but if I make a new one I put a light sandy on something like white get drity wehave pc in sewing room and if my DH get on it he smokes and while get bad I take it down wash when I START A NEW QUILT i DONT THINK i EVER GET A QUILT LINE OUT WITH OUT ONE NEVA

I am having a bedroom remodelled that was designed originally with a houseful of kids in mind...built in beds, storage, desks, cupboards, drawers and closet. It has been stripped down to the studs and new insulation -walls and roof- a 72 inch closet that will be nothing but shelves and the rest of the room is bare. I am moving my computer desk, which is a very large, heavy duty L shaped desk in to use for my sewing machine and serger, a seperate desk for my embroidery machine , hopefully room for my fold up cutting table and the rest I am really not sure about. I have been thinking about getting 2 bookshelves to move all my quilting , embroidery and sewing books into the sewing room where they should be and then figuring out how to attach something to use for a design wall that can drop down from the top of the bookshevles when I need it. I need some ideas if this is going to work and how I would do it.
    I am hoping that one of you will come up with a great idea. I am stumed at this point.... I think I have been breathing in too much dust , dirt and plaster dust in the last week.
    I had to clean a 35 year accumulation of kids stuff, craft stuff and sewing and emboridery stuff out of that rom and let me tell you that NO ONE on this earth could put back what I pulled out of there.
    My garbage men must really hate me now... at least 8 industrial bags a week for the last couple of weeks and a threat to my kids that if they don't come and get what is theirs I am throwing it away..things like prom corsages from 25 years ago, dance costumes -black swan feathers and all from 20 years ago... everyone gets the idea.
    Cathy

watch ( quilt in a day) shows you how to make one its easy
    can be portable too if light weight
    thank you
    hoe it helps
    frankie

watch ( quilt in a day) shows you how to make one its easy
    can be portable too if light weight
    thank you
    hope it helps
    frankie

There are some great tips on this thread. I don't have a design wall, but I'm thinking about doing one with flannel since reading this.

I am jealous of your space. Something like bi-fold doors could be latched together at ceiling level, then lowered in sections as needed. Covered in felt or cork, it should not be all that costly. Do you have a wrecking yard where you can get recycled doors?

I have often thought of some arrangement like a ceiling-hung movie screen that could retract and not take up floorspace, but never really worked out the details.

I don't have a design wall nor the room, so I lay a flannel backed tablecloth over the closet door (folded in half). It works great for
    small projects. :)

I got a piece of foam insulation and covered it with a cotton fabric (it's like a soft damask - got it on the $1 table at Walmart).

I just pin things to it, but they will also "stick" with the friction.

I covered mine with contack papper and use push pins in it thank you

I have a very small apartment. So I bought a flannel sheet on sale, got a piece of PVC pipe to put through the seam of the sheet and hang it on a curtain rod when I use it. So it is easy to take down and store when not in use. The only problem is the cats like to play in the bottom of it and pull it down. I dream of the day of having a home with a sewing studio to have a permenant wall!
    :lol: Lisa

I don't have a design wall or wall space to put foam core. I don't even have a sewing room! But I do have a spare bedroom that is only used when my daughter and her family come. I've decided to put a design wall over the closet doors. I'll install a curtain rod above the closet door frame to hang flannel and just roll it up and remove it when I have a guest using that room. Think that will work?
    Virginia