Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design wall >

design wall

design wall

Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 AM

Hi Sharon,

I suggest, then, the 3 x 4 foamcore board. One can get really creative with the way they drape the unfinished top over and around it to see how things look. For borders and sashings, the size is big enough to give you an idea of what the quilt will look like, particularly if you put the corner of the top on the corner of the board. I have also used large pictures (hung on walls already) as something to put a half-finished top on to see how it looks, what will go with it, etc. Then there is patio doors, basement floors, the patio itself, a friend's place if they have a nice space to lay out a big quilt... you get the idea... the bed works, but only if you put a white sheet down over the quilt that is already there!

I finally got my own room for crafts when my SO and I moved into a 1700 square foot 4 bedroom house. I need to knock out the wall between the two adjoining bedrooms... not something that I foresee in the near future. I have too much stuff for a 10 x 12 room.

I see that you are the mother of a son in Iraq. My thoughts and prayers are with all our service people over in that unsettled area and with their families that are struggling with having a child there. Thankfully, my son did his hitch in the Army during the Cold War and was stationed in Germany.

Take care. Let me know how the foamcore works for you.

Anita

Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks, Anita, I'm sure going to try it. I just happen to have one here in the sewing room office from my Christmas crafting.

Sharon
Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 PM

For an 'extra' design wall, I covered the back of the door in my sewing room with felt (just happened to have some left over from a project). I stapled it to the top of the door so as not to mess up the door face and since my felt was not long enough to reach the bottom, I just taped it to keep it from flopping around. You can re-stretch and re-tape when necessary. Its a bit narrow but doesn't take up room or have to be stored! Smiles Mary Quilter
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM

I have a design wall, it's made with flanel and it was a frame made out of MDF all around, we stapled the flannel to the frame and screwed it to the wall, it works great.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 AM

I have a wall design wall I love it I have core bord then fanl that is 6-7 and it white but if I make a new one I put a light sandy on something like white get drity wehave pc in sewing room and if my DH get on it he smokes and while get bad I take it down wash when I START A NEW QUILT i DONT THINK i EVER GET A QUILT LINE OUT WITH OUT ONE NEVA
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 AM

I am having a bedroom remodelled that was designed originally with a houseful of kids in mind...built in beds, storage, desks, cupboards, drawers and closet. It has been stripped down to the studs and new insulation -walls and roof- a 72 inch closet that will be nothing but shelves and the rest of the room is bare. I am moving my computer desk, which is a very large, heavy duty L shaped desk in to use for my sewing machine and serger, a seperate desk for my embroidery machine , hopefully room for my fold up cutting table and the rest I am really not sure about. I have been thinking about getting 2 bookshelves to move all my quilting , embroidery and sewing books into the sewing room where they should be and then figuring out how to attach something to use for a design wall that can drop down from the top of the bookshevles when I need it. I need some ideas if this is going to work and how I would do it.
I am hoping that one of you will come up with a great idea. I am stumed at this point.... I think I have been breathing in too much dust , dirt and plaster dust in the last week.
I had to clean a 35 year accumulation of kids stuff, craft stuff and sewing and emboridery stuff out of that rom and let me tell you that NO ONE on this earth could put back what I pulled out of there.
My garbage men must really hate me now... at least 8 industrial bags a week for the last couple of weeks and a threat to my kids that if they don't come and get what is theirs I am throwing it away..things like prom corsages from 25 years ago, dance costumes -black swan feathers and all from 20 years ago... everyone gets the idea.
Cathy
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM

watch ( quilt in a day) shows you how to make one its easy
can be portable too if light weight
thank you
hoe it helps
frankie
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM

watch ( quilt in a day) shows you how to make one its easy
can be portable too if light weight
thank you
hope it helps
frankie
Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 PM

There are some great tips on this thread. I don't have a design wall, but I'm thinking about doing one with flannel since reading this.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:47 PM

I am jealous of your space. Something like bi-fold doors could be latched together at ceiling level, then lowered in sections as needed. Covered in felt or cork, it should not be all that costly. Do you have a wrecking yard where you can get recycled doors?

I have often thought of some arrangement like a ceiling-hung movie screen that could retract and not take up floorspace, but never really worked out the details.