Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
designer 1 machine help >

designer 1 machine help

designer 1 machine help

Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 AM

hello friends......... are there any of you out there that have a designer 1 and could give me tips on my machine.

For instance…….. Stippling a quilt, is there a set tension that you find works well then another combination of other tensions?

I’m mostly looking for nitpicky or quirk help with the machine.

Thanks so much
:D
Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

i have a designer 1...
the tension really shouldn't have much to do with which stitch you are using...stippling, straight stitching or any other decorative. the tension is based on the fabric itself and the thread being used. the easiest way to have your tension balanced is to use the same thread in the top and the bobbin. with my machine i have found if i am having tension problems it is either not threaded correctly (not pulled between the tension discs...only laying around them) or the bobbin area is full of lint and needs to be cleaned, or i've been going like crazy and haven't changed my needle in awhile. if you use the sewing assistant on the menu...set the machine to the fabric you are using (light/medium/heavy woven...or light/medium/heavy stretch...or leather...ect.) use the needle and foot recommended and your thread is equal the machine (should) adjust the tension on it's own. the self-adjusting feature has problems when the machine needs to be cleaned or re-threaded.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 AM

ok thank you very much, I'll try those things. I am using the same thread on top and bottom, and I have a new needle.

I will try to change the fabric part on the machine and re- thread the machine..... and I will let you know :D

Mostly the problem that I'm having is the top thread is pulling through and instead of locking inside the fabric, its on the back of the fabric :cry: and that is why I frustrated..... :cry:

But after lunch I'll try everything you suggested :D

Thank you again :D
Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM

I have the D2 and have found that I need to thread differenly based on the type of thread I am using. Will take some pics of the way I've set mine up may give you some ideas.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM

ok great thank you so much :)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 AM

Hi ladies ,

ckcowl - I tryed everything that you suggested and I'm not getting it...... I'm going to try a few more things, then if those dont work, then I'm going to do it on black fabric so you can see what the stitches look like so maybe you can tell me what you think.

Thank you so much :D
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Ok ladies.............. I'm going out of town for Christmas, and I will be back in a few days.

maeery Christmas to you all. :-D