Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Designing blocks?

Hi
    I would like your opinons on how to design a block, of any kind, without electric quilt, because I am on Linux and also, I don't want to pay 150$ for a computer program.
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks

I like to get out my colored pencils and some graph paper and just start doodling! It's very relaxing, and once in a great while I actually come up with something do-able! :D

Blog Entries
    I also used my graph paper and colored pencils. You can also use paper and cut out blocks and lay them out on the table then turn them and move them til you get a look you like. You can sew and iron paper just like fabric so you can experiment with paper to get an idea of what your design would look like in a 3D version.

If you have seen my Boston Blocks you can color a block like that and then cut them out and move them around to see differant ideas.
    Or color your squares to look like half square triangles and play with them to see what you can do.

Blog Entries
    I remember seeing on Simply Quilts where someone took a sheet of paper and drew a large square 10" maybe and then drew a lines inside to dissect the square to get designs. Say draw from one corner to another and then from where lines meet to another corner etc. to get divisions within the quilt block.

Blog Entries
    I usually doodle even before I try to do anything on the computer. I'm more of a pencil in hand type of person anyway...so I get out the paper and use my rulers to make sure I'm doodling something that is "doable".

I like using Power point. I seem to get really good results that way.

Blog Entries
    I just bought Quilt Design Wizard and am having fun with it. I've seen it in Joann's for about $30, but got mine for $15 on ebay. Here's a similar listing to what I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quilt-Design-Wiz...3286.m20.l1116

I just bought Quilt Wizard, too. I've had it for only a couple of weeks and have had a blast with it and have designed and printed out two quilt patterns. I paid around $30.00. Granted, it doesn't do what the other software programs do, but I can arrange, re-arrange, choose color, etc. But I have to tell you, there is something about that good ol' pad of graph paper and colored pencils that is fulfilling and relaxing. Sometimes I can "get lost" in my doodling and actually come up with some great ideas.

Banned
    i also work with graph paper to lay out the general idea. then i do all the detailed scale work in electric quilt so i can print out the pattern pieces.

Graph paper was my choice before I got quilt wizard. It worked great for me.

I have spent hours with graph paper and colored markers. I sometimes also take free block patterns, scan or photocopy them in black and white, cut the components apart and use the glue stick to play that way. I find however that to really get the final design I often go to the scrap bin and also stitch. The end result usually doesn't resemble what I started with but that's okay. I had a blast all the way! I really like working with traditional patterns and try to incorporate them to get a secondary design. I designed the fill in block to connect the fans in the round after the Ohio Star.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know what happened to the photo of this quilt in the previous post. This is the quilt I am speaking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    thats a beautiful quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quilt Mama, Thats a wonderful quilt!!!

You might really want to check ebay for a program to use to design. Its great even if you use it for nothing more than to print out templates. I got EQ for $35.00

Quiltmama, love the quilt!

I use Excel. Changing the grid size to squares makes it just like graph paper except computer drawable.

I like Quilt Wizard because you can combine blocks and rotate them to see what the overall design will look like.
    You can't design your own blocks with this software but you sure can use the blocks in the program to make some great combinations.
    And each month you can download a new pattern from the website. It is a great program for the price.

Beautiful quilts. What great designs.

I too just bought Quilt Design Wizard and am very happy with it. It's the same company who sells EQ. I use graph paper and colored pencils, but I was trying to try out different colors on my latest project and was frustrated.

I have also used brown kraft paper and rulers and pencils. I do that sometimes with a new block, make it full size on paper and the measure the components.