Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Desperate help please with quilt >

Desperate help please with quilt

Desperate help please with quilt

Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 AM
DJ

If you're not in a hurry to complete it, I would explore the option of free motion quilting. You will want to do a bit of practice first, or perhaps take a class if you can. Hand stitching around the curvy areas would also be a great solution. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 AM

This is what mine looks like. One should have come with your machine, but if not, you can get from your dealer. This is a larger foot, though not the Big Foot. I am going to order a smaller metal one, too, as this one sometimes blocks visibility - like right now when I'm doing circles and have to backtrack. https://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Sha...D-SCF60410.htm
Old 04-13-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Idle Di View Post
I do hope some one can help me. I am trying to do a quilt panel, it is with clouds, flowers and owls on it. I am having a lot of trouble sewing around the clouds and flowers as they are a bit intricate. Should I just scream and cry or is there an easy way to outline them. I am trying to do it with a walking foot, but find I cant seem to follow the outlines, Any help would be so fantastic.

Idle Di
I wouldn't do anything intricate with a walking foot you need to fmq for that kind of work
Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 AM

Personally, I would lose the walking foot, drop the feed dogs and FMQ the thing. I have been doing a lot with panels lately and free motion seems to me the way to go!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:48 AM

I once outlined some applique flowers while using my walking foot - the way I did it was by turning the hand wheel for each stitch, and every few stitches, I raised the presser foot and rotated the quilt. It was very slow going, and I don't recommend doing this for anything more than very small amounts of quilting. The walking foot works well for doing straight lines or gentle curves - it is not well suited for more complicated patterns.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:40 AM

I have 2 Janome machines - a 3160 QDC & a 10001 embroidery machine. When doing FMQ, I drop the feed dogs, use a 0.0 stitch length, & use the "Convertible Free Motion Quilting Foot Set" that I purchased later. That set works like a hopping foot & allows you, the driver of the fabric, to be your own speed control. I also set my machine speed very slow. Practice is always good when learning new things. Good luck. I look forward to seeing your work. Kathy
Old 04-14-2018, 05:50 AM

If you are using your walking foot, reduce your stitch length and stop and pivot frequently for better curves. This would be much easier with either free motion quilting or hand quilting.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 AM

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I have a fairly new fancy computerized machine that has a FM foot and feature. I have tried every which way to use it just as the book instructs, but gave up and here is how I go around those little flowers and houses. I use the regular foot, not the FM foot. I leave the feed dogs UP. I lower the pressure to the very lowest it will go. (.05) This works really great for me, and I have mastered FM quilting now. With the feed dogs down, it just smashed my quilt so it would barely move at all. With the dogs up, I can still go in circles around the little pictures or words on the fabric.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

A walking foot is made to work with your feed dogs to travel in nice straight lines through bulk. Some people manage gentle curves with their walking foot.
a darning ( hopping foot) is what you need to quilt designs. I have had success using an open toe foot but only when my batting was quite thin.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:32 PM

If you are going to try free motion quilting I would suggest you get a pair of machinger gloves. They must fit you tightly. They are rubberized and allow you to get a better grip on the quilt. You can then pull and spread the quilt very flat for where you want to sew. Sew a few stitches then move your hands and stretch and sew. You can use an embroidey hoop but then you have to take it out and restretch and start again. Use what we used to call the darning foot. Make a small square quilt with batting and practice some. I really enjoy this type of quilting. Look up Leah Day free motion quilting.