Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Determining border size >

Determining border size

Determining border size

Old 07-28-2021, 02:35 AM

Smile Determining border size

I have started a log cabin memory quilt to which I would like to add a border. I want to applique the border with flowers, leaves and vines. My block sizes are eleven inches. The log cabin quilt without a border is made up of six by six eleven-inch blocks. Some design help would be most welcome, please?
Old 07-28-2021, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

I most classes I have taken the border should be no wider then the block size. What I would do is lay out the quilt top and then audition many different border widths. you may like one wide border or several smaller ones.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:52 AM

Switching from pieced to applique gives you quite a bit of freedom. While certain proportions may be more pleasing, I don't think you have to work in strict block divisions. So as Onebyone says, I'd try a few on for size. My general feeling is that on a queen sized project, 6" is almost always too small, but sometimes it just doesn't take that much.

Just remember that 10" on one side equals 20" total... things can get big fast!

The other idea would be to turn your 66" square on point and applique the large triangles, that would make it bed sized.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Switching from pieced to applique gives you quite a bit of freedom. While certain proportions may be more pleasing, I don't think you have to work in strict block divisions. So as Onebyone says, I'd try a few on for size. My general feeling is that on a queen-sized project, 6" is almost always too small, but sometimes it just doesn't take that much.

Just remember that 10" on one side equals 20" total... things can get big fast!

The other idea would be to turn your 66" square on point and applique the large triangles, which would make it bed sized.
Oh what a lovely idea. I hadn't thought of that. I will also try various widths to see what I like. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a particular bed/use in mind for this quilt?

That will affect/influence the completed size for this item.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Just remember that 10" on one side equals 20" total... things can get big fast!.
Yes I found this out recently. I made a quilt top in a very basic pattern called building blocks from MSQC. I needed to make it bigger to fit our bed so I used 2 layer cakes instead of the 1 that the pattern called for. It wouldn't have mattered as much if I had stuck with the original design plan I had, inner border being 3 inches finished, outer border 6 inches finished. But I had these 4 blocks left and got the idea to use them as cornerstones in the outermost border. This meant outer border would need to be 9 inches finished. So that added 6 inches to both the width and the length. Luckily the bed is an old tall 4 poster and there is plenty of drop on the ends and sides, but as you said--things can get big fast.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Do you have a particular bed/use in mind for this quilt?

That will affect/influence the completed size for this item.
No, just a quilt to snuggle into to remember
Old 07-28-2021, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

If it's to be what I call a "couch quilt"- I like mine to end up being at least 65 x 85 inches long - and I am 5'3" tall.

Our daughter gave us a nice fluffy square thing that is big enough to be a lap quilt, but way too short to use as a complete body cover-up.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:28 AM

Ooooh! I love appliqué borders on pieced quilts.

If you are flexible on size, you have a lot of options, but math will be required. Your starting size is 66” square. I assume the “logs” are 1”.

1. Decide if you want a square quilt. If so, something like 96” x 96” is pretty close to a queen size. If you don’t want a square, you will need to make larger borders at the top and bottom. It is certainly doable, but requires more math.

2. If something like. 96” square will work, the borders will total 30”, which is 15” per side. That might mean a skinny 2” border, an 11” appliqué border and a final 2” border.

3. You can test those dimensions by created an 11”x 11” piece of graph paper and cutting out some paper leaves and flowers to test a possible design. Once you are mostly happy with how it looks, lay it next to you quilt center, leaving a little space for that 2” inner border. If it doesn’t work, try a different width. 9”x 11” gives you a 3” skinny border above and below or a slightly smaller finished quilt. Play with the dimensions a until you have a good feel for your appliqué design.

4. Do the math again. A 2” skinny border will make the appliqué border 70” wide (plus corners at 11”x 11”). You can still work in block units, but instead of doing 11” by 70”/6= 112/3” each, try 2 11” wide and 4 12” wide units.

5. Draw your final patterns on graph paper.

Have fun!
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I would find an appliqué border I like and then just make the border fabric wide enough to accommodate it.