Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH asks silly questions >

DH asks silly questions

DH asks silly questions

Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Nearly Every thing you wear or own is sewn From our Clothes we buy to the seat covers on our cars . I learn to sew from Grandmother when I was small My sister and I used to a peddle machine I sewed she run the peddle since we were not big enough to reach both The main problem was getting her to stop when I wanted her to but we made lots of Doll clothes that way
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 AM

I have always loved arts and crafts. I didn't much care for dolls or barbies, but I loved making things. I had those plastic looms you used loops to make potholders and that spinny thing you dropped paint into. Apparently, I was really into my lite brite as well. I remember spending hours trying to fix my mom's ancient Singer, but could only get it to do a few stitches before breaking again. One day, I spent hours collecting bits of cardboard and fabric and glue making my own shoes. They didn't even make it to the bottom of the driveway, but the interest was clearly there.

My life might have been different I had someone to guide me in my interests. My mom didn't do anything crafty and left my dad as a single dad most of the time. Dad did his best though, and I was the best (and only) little girl in my schools wood working club! Then I got into a super tough academic program and had to drop art.

When I turned 27, I decided to teach myself to cook. That sparked a passion that inspired me to pick up art again. Then I taught myself to knit. Then 6 months ago I got my dream sewing machine. Now I'm hooked on quilting.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM

I remember sewing on my grandmothers treadle when I was about 5 or 6. I made my dolly's clothes. Later when I started having the kids, made most of their clothes and today I make all of my husbands shirts. Thats easy, he likes black western with snaps. LOL My grandmother and great aunt had made a broken Lone Star. I always want to make one, but by the time I started, they had both passed and I couldn't figure out how to do it. Finally found a pattern and have been busy ever since. Made a few different tops, but always come back the the Lone Star. Besides reading to relax, I have started doing genelogy and that in itself is addictive!!! Any Wrights, Hornsbys or VanCleaves out there? LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 AM

No one in my family sewed. My Mother hated it, has a GD with same feeling, my Father darned his own socks. Her friend taught me how to knit when I was in first grade. I never forgot it and went to the yarn shop and took lessons while in HS. Also took HomeEc and learned to sew. I love all needlework, so it has to come from an older generation.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 AM

When I was around 2 years old I would beg my Grandmother to let me sew. She would thread a large needle and give me large buttons to sew onto scraps of fabric. When I was 4-5 years old I started helping my Grandmother recycle clothing, etc into beautiful quilts. Her favorite was 9-patch blocks. I taught myself to knit and crochet when I was 12....started cross-stitching in my early 20's.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 AM

I was 7 and in 4-H, now 30+++ years later, I still sew, but quilt too. My grandbabies are the receivers now for clothes, course, I still do a few western shirts for my hubby.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 AM

I, too, grew up in a family that sewed and did all types of needlework. Crochet, tatting (I wish I could), huck embroidery, cut work, quilting and making clothes. My Grannie was never without something in her hands. I was very fortunate to have both Grandmothers and 2 Great-Grandmothers until I was grown. My Mother sewed and knitted. She made Christmas stockings for all the family down to Great Nieces and Nephews. Over 100 made and she is missed.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM

I remember my maternal grandma hand quilting in a frame in her big "front room" and she had an old Singer she let me play with until I jammed it one time too many, I was probably 7 or 8. My mom sewed occasionally, little Easter dresses & bonnets for my sister and I. By the time my brother came along she had given it up. One years Christmas though, she made a whole wardrobe for my Barbies on the sly, I couldn't believe the late hours she must have put in to make them a surprise (and I still have them around here somewhere, not the dolls, just their clothes, lol). My paternal grandma was always crocheting and she made those fancy angels you dip in starch, for tree toppers & stuff. And could she quilt! She's still a professional quilter with several of her sisters, they have a joint owned longarm business & ship quilts all over the world. I wish she lived closer to me, when I went out for my dad's funeral she showed me the business & taught me to miter corners (ugh, I was distracted & wish I'd payed attention, mine stink). I had just started dabbling in quilting at that time. I grew up with sewing around me but I never even took home-ec (rocked the wood shop though!). I really started sewing after I got married and my ex taught me to sew, he had lots of sisters and his mom insisted everyone learn :) For years I made all of my girls clothes except socks & jeans, I remember some really cute modest bathing suits I made so they didn't look like little 'hoochies' LOL.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM

I do know it is my blood, I have been sewing 57 years non-stop. I would not know what to do if I could not sew. I learned at 13yrs old in home ec. Took off right away. I taught my mother to sew and I remember making her rip it out and do it over. I think as a teen I could make all my clothes that my parents could not afford to buy me. i would stay up until midnight making something. It has been a wonderful life with my sewing. Suzanne
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 AM

I can't remember ever NOT sewing. When I was 4 or 5 I managed to run the sewing machine needle through my finger (total accident, hard to explain) and I guess it created a permanent attachment! LOL!! When I became old enough to babysit, all my money went to buy bulk fabrics at the general store. Yes, sewing is in my blood.