Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did it again!!!

Blog Entries
    Ow! Hope you are able to get back to cutting soon! And this is a good example why I always try to remember to put my rotary cutter in the glove before I start any cutting project so I have everything I need. I make it a habit to get all supplies together and lined up before I begin. A little anal that way. Heal soon!

nms
    Just a reminder....are you updated on your tetanus immunization?

i use to have a prayer for quilter or sewer to move all unwant spirit away went i start sew dont know were it at now will run across it and post it , it must have worked, haven't need it in a waile
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

Ouch! I hope your thumb heals quickly.

I don't have gloves, so I went to Fons and Porter and did a search for mesh gloves, kevlar, and quilting gloves. The only gloves that came up were the cotton quilting gloves. Do you know who might carry them. I check Clotilde and a glove search there didn't turn up anything.
    jean

I should have worn my cutting glove when I was cleaning out a can. I probably cut it in the same place you did - right on the knuckle. My husband told me to go to the ER. So after 2 1/2 hour wait, it took the doctor less than 5 minutes to put in 5 stitches. The shot is no more painful than slicing your thumb open!!!! I now tell everyone I have a "franken"thumb when I show them the stitches. Just make sure you take care of it, polysporin every day with new bandages. You should be able to start sewing again in a few days. Just keep your thumb covered! Hope you eal fast.

I would have screamed for my husband! He hates the sight of blood, but somehow overcomes that feeling in an emergency - at least long enough to get me to the DR...

Feel better, and when you're all healed, keep your "armor" close at hand! Or better yet, on your hand.

i have been reading all the horror stories and figure im on borrowed time with my cutter as ive only cut myself once and it was very minor in 8 years of quilting. where do you get one of these gloves ive typed in mesh glove looking for it but not found anything yet i think i should pick one up as i sure cant afford a trip to the emergency room.
    thanks carla

OWWEEEEE....thats has to hurt!!!! keep that up and our rotary cutters will be outlawed. and only outlaws will have rotary cutters!!
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Ouch, must be more careful.

ouch ouch hope you heal soon and i have never heard of this glove either educate us please

did it again!!

A trip to the doc might be good, especially if you think you need stitches. I cut mine, thankfully went to the doc and the tendon in my thumb had been cut. It was immobilized, therapy for 6 weeks following healing. The shot given is tempered by a topical and the needle is extremely small. The long lasting results are so much better if you get it checked! BTW, I hate hate hate going to the doc but on this topic, I'd go

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...4j5l9l0.frgbld.

Here is the google results for cutting glove.

Carol B

I agree regarding getting stitches. The numbing medicine works quickly, so don't be afraid of it. You will heal much more quickly! Good luck!

Blog Entries
    They put the needle in the cut because the worst part of a shot (or what hurts the most) is breaking the skin!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Carol, thanks for the link. I was able to find out the correct name is Klutz glove.
    And thanks to all of you for telling about your terrible cutting experiences because they convinced me to order the glove today. Someone mentioned it is cheaper than an emergency room visit and a whole lot less painful and that is so true.
    jean

Owie, that smarts. Bet you won't do that again. LOL. Seriously, be sure to watch it so it doesn't get infected.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

if it is cut in the knuckle area, they might not stitch it. I cut my finger a few years ago, on my food processor blade, at the knuckle. Dr said he wouldn't stitch there due to the joint. but I got my tetnus shot, and steri strip bandaged.

Blog Entries
    I read about these stories all the time and am so afraid I am going to do the same thing. I don't have a glove, but am considering getting one with all these scary stories.

Blog Entries
    So sorry, it really hurts to hear about it, hope you heal fast.

Jcrow, I did the same thing to my index finger. I slice a nice chuck of the side of my finger including right into the nail. I never wore a glove and still don't just a little more careful. I pray your feeling better, and will recover nicely. The things we do to quilt.
    Believe, it can be done!

Oh! So sorry. I never thought I needed a glove, but you can bet I will be getting one soon!

ouch !!!!! hope it gets better soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2