Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did anyone ever have their Quilt Design published? >

Did anyone ever have their Quilt Design published?

Did anyone ever have their Quilt Design published?

Old 07-22-2017, 04:53 AM

Default Did anyone ever have their Quilt Design published?

And if so, would you tell us the story? I have a few quilt designs I did myself and was just wondering what it takes to get one published.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 AM

Send them to any or all of the quilt magazines. There's usually a place in the front of the magazine giving directions on where to send submissions, also look up the quilt pattern publishers and send them some of your designs. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Members of this board encouraged me to write a pattern for a quilt that I posted here. I did, and I have been successful selling the pattern on ebay and to a few quilt stores. I have a friend who sells patterns at quilt shows or craft fairs and from her web site, and another friend who frequently has her patterns published in QuiltMaker magazine. Other people sell their patterns on sites like Etsy, Craftsy, etc.

I found this book useful - https://www.amazon.com/Publish-Patte...lish+a+pattern
Old 07-22-2017, 12:56 PM

YOU! I just ordered this book!
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Members of this board encouraged me to write a pattern for a quilt that I posted here. I did, and I have been successful selling the pattern on ebay and to a few quilt stores. I have a friend who sells patterns at quilt shows or craft fairs and from her web site, and another friend who frequently has her patterns published in QuiltMaker magazine. Other people sell their patterns on sites like Etsy, Craftsy, etc.

I found this book useful - https://www.amazon.com/Publish-Patte...lish+a+pattern
Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
Send them to any or all of the quilt magazines. There's usually a place in the front of the magazine giving directions on where to send submissions, also look up the quilt pattern publishers and send them some of your designs. Good luck!
THANK YOU! I never noticed that before, I'll be checking my quilting magazines for info.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:19 PM

I am self-published on Craftsy and Etsy. I like to use my patterns in a class (or 5) before I publish them, so I can work out any kinks. Then I create a pdf of the pattern. Craftsy and Etsy have fill-in-the-blank templates, where you add pictures, a description, you set your own price, etc.. You need to create a PayPal account, and PayPal takes a very small fee. PayPal gives you a Mastercard business debit card to use. Etsy has another payment method that makes a direct deposit to your bank account.

Craftsy is all pdf downloads, but you can put paper patterns on Etsy. Pdf downloads is a great way to go. However, if you do sell paper patterns, PayPal and Etsy both have discounted prices for shipping through them, by USPS.

There's a Yahoo Group for quilt pattern testers. You can join and ask for testers there.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:12 AM

Not a quilt pattern, but years ago I crocheted am afghan in a grandmother flower garden. It was rejected by them, but several issues later it was published in their magazine. Same pictures as mine. Even the directions were almost word for word.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:38 AM

I had a friend who sent a magazine a picture of her drawing, then used it, published it and never so much as even printed her name for designing it needless to say the magazine is no longer in business so be very careful I am not sure how you would get it copy righted or whatever you should do before you just put it in the mail
Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

"The quilt pattern magazine" is currently looking for new design submissions.