Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone get the letter from Fabricdepot.com?

Did anyone get the letter from Fabricdepot.com?

I got a letter in the mail today from fabricdepot that says their data has been compromised and that credit cards,names...etc might have been disclosed, but it doesn't tell me the last numbers of the card that has been used....what a chore to change every card or just keep watching them to make sure non has been compromised for any fraudulent activity.....
    BUT what a sweet deal they gave me in this letter to make up for the inconvenience a 30% of the next order, plus a FQ bundle and $10 gift card with the shipment.....off to shopping soon and OH the fabric they have and the sale ahhhhh
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Nice public relations!!

For me, I try to only place orders on Paypal sites for this reason and if that is not an option, I only use an AmEx card. They are the most responsive to oddball charges imho.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Very nice letter! Fabricdepot wasn't the only company who was affected by the fraudulent activity, hundreds and hundreds of online stores were affected. It happened a couple weeks ago, all the news stations were talking about it. It was thoughtful for Fabricdepot to let you know! They're a great company.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I had fraudulent use on my card and had to have my card discontinued and a new one issued. Tomorrow I am going to order fabric from them. Yippee. I was able to have the fraudulent charge taken off my card, but still had to discontinue my card.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I got that letter too. It was very nice of them to let us know. I've had mine compromised three times already but thankfully my bank caught it and it was for nominal amounts of money--as if they were trying to see if the card was good or not... It's a giant PITA though because I have things that come out of my account automatically and have had to change the number for each and every account. Once I forgot to change one and got a nasty letter demanding payment -- embarrassing I now also try to use PayPal whenever I can.
    Bernie

Had this happen a few weeks ago with someonelse but MC caught it and stopped it. I don't like to use Pay Pal as they paid someonelses bill with our card and then denied doing it. We had to change our card--3 months later they sent an e-mail that said they found they had made a typo when they charged our card--not even a sorry in the note just the note. I use then only when I absolutely must and watch my account with them closely.

I had this happen to me for a large amount. I caught it before the bank had even paid it because I check on line each day to see what charges are on credit card. May seem like a lot of work but I am here anyway. I think we have to really keep on top of this stuff all the time. The card was closed out and yes, it is a PITA to change everything over.

Yes, I received the letter. A little late in addressing their problem, when they were notified about this back in November 2012. Sorry, no more shopping w/them for me.

I've ordered from them in the past, but may have used PayPal for payment as I did not receive the letter. I do encourage everyone to check their PayPal profile (which I hadn't done since I opened the account years ago). When I checked my address in PayPal my actual address was in there 6 times in addition to an address in Indonesia and two in Ohio. I contacted PayPal but they didn't seem concerned at all.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

My card was compromised too from Fabric Depot. I had a 99 cent charge then a 988$ charge, they were waiting if it went thru on the 99 cent charge then went big time. My card had to be canceled and a new one issued which caused problems for me because I auto pay bills with this card. So those had to be notified of a new card. I used to use Pay Pal also but had a problem with them, this card was used for them so I never changed it good luck to anyone who tries to use that card at PayPal. Charge cards are a blessing in disguise sometimes especially if you order on internet and I do all the time.

i got the letter also. we actually had about 200 n charges on my bank a count. all for the apple store and we dont own a ything apple except the ones you eat. always wondered what happened now i know.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Mine was discover. We had already changed it. What a pain.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I keep a CC with a very low limit, something like $500, just for buying fabric on line, my husband uses it occasionally to buy his RC helicopter parts, this way no one is going to be able to go and buy a new car on me vbg

I got the notice too. My bank caught the first charge for a few cents and canceled my card while I was out to breakfast. Was glad I had cash to pay my bill. Third time over the years my bank has caught these fraudulent charges before I did. I know they say you have less protection using a Visa debit card than with a regular credit card, but my credit union has been fantastic at spotting fraud before it ever affected me.

I got it too and my card was used in New York (I live in Georgia) just before Christmas...they had charged some things at a gamer store, then an over the limit charge alerted the credit card company and they called....The CC company said they had duplicated and were using an actual card...man if only these bad guys would use those brains for good!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    i got the letter also. we actually had about 200 n charges on my bank a count. all for the apple store and we dont own a ything apple except the ones you eat. always wondered what happened now i know.
    Mine was used also at the Apple store. Thank goodness for vigilent credit card companies!

I got the same letter....but I must say, on top of the hacking notice we got from the state of SC a few weeks ago, this just sorta wasn't that big a deal...I AM checking my accounts on a daily (or more) basis...and I would suggest that everyone, whether you got a notice or not, do the same. You just never know......and yes, there are creeps out there!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Got the letter today too, but had been notified by the fraud department of my credit card a couple of weeks ago that there were 3 charges on my card that they thought were fraudulent. They were right. None of the three charges were ours. Kudos to these fraud departments. This is the third time it's happened to us, one time each for 3 different accounts. Talk about a pain in the butt. Not sure if I'll take advantage of the offer or not, but nice that they're notifying people. Nothing's safe anymore.

We don't know who comprised our credit union card but they called us less than ten minutes after a charge in a hotel gift shop in CA to see if it was ours. We always let them know when we are traveling. Of course, the card was canceled and a new one was sent to us immediately. But what a PITA!
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Just cancelled the credit card I used with Fabric Depot -- ugh -- we use(d) it for just about everything!!! Has anyone felt it necessary to initiate the Fraud Alert or Credit Freeze with the credit reporting agencies? My DH probably won't like it, but I think I'll take advantage of their freebie offers, too. I've enjoyed shopping with them over the last few years.
    Linda B
    Believe in the power of positive thinking.

I'm in SC, too, Momto5. Wasn't happy about the hacking notice from SC at all. Even got a few 'spam' notices about it with links to some spam site - I didn't open them. The good news is that my DH and I realized that we had never gotten our Federal and State income tax returns. We were traveling with 'grands' a lot in 2012, so just didn't think of it. Turns out that our electronically filed Federal and State tax returns didn't go through. Our accountant didn't follow up for a confirmation, so he missed it, too.

I never use a debit card. They are too easy to hack, and once your money is gone from your bank account, it's gone. Sometimes the banks will replace your money, but it takes them forever to "investigate" and decide to do it. Sometimes they simply refuse.

We did put credit freezes on our names with all three credit bureaus. Maybe they won't get hacked!!!

I always pre-shop online, get a rough idea of what the cost will be then I get an online card loaded with enough money for the purchase. Some sites don't accept the pre-loaded cards, so I call instead if possible. If the card info is stolen its no loss.
    Quilt outside of the box!

More reason to use a prepaid debit card
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma
    Mine was compromised as well...I wasn't sure which company did it...either Fabric Depot or Connecting threads...because I'd not used my card for quite some time except for these 2 companies. I contacted them on or about January 7th to tell them that had happened to me. Coincidentally that is the date that Fabric Depot said they'd been notified about the problem. Was I the notifier? Who knows and I don't care...just glad that they got right on it.

I found out that Connecting threads was hacked as well so it might have been them. Whoever it was, I had to cancel my card and wait 2 weeks before I was sent another.

Fabric Depot's quick response and offer to recompense does make me warm and fuzzy about Fabric Depot though...no such offer to recompense for my inconvenience coming from Connecting Threads....guess my money will be going to Fabric Depot as much as possible.

I got the letter, from now on strictly Paypal, I just had to have my card replaced since the company cancelled it (without letting me know) and I found out the hard way at the grocery store and on Amazon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast