Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I use the "wrong" side? >

Did I use the "wrong" side?

Did I use the "wrong" side?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM

I'm still convinced it's cut on the wrong grain line (i.e., not the same as, meaning perpendicular to, the others). If that's so, removing it and turning it over won't make any difference at all...none, nada, zip...only a matching grain piece will appear the same color. I have 7 shades of Kona gray, they all act that way...as do all the other colors. Perhaps the OP will be back after the holiday and let us know her decision and the outcome.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:25 PM

IMHO from looking at the picture I like the looks of it. It looks like that is part of the design. I would leave it. I like it that way. Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a happy sewing New Year.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 PM

I agree with Laura and ghostrider.......I think it is in the grain and ripping and resewing will not help. Take a picture of the "wrong side" of the backing and compare. AND..........the back is gorgeous!!! I love pieced backs, good work! and it makes me want to see the front!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Flip the block over to make sure that's the problem before you start ripping! Lay the other side of the dark block against the right side to see if it matches!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Default Update!

Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone! I'm so relieved that I'm not the only person who has had this problem. In response to some of the replies here...

1. The Steel fabric on my back is not all from the same bolt. I made purchases from two separate locations, about 2 months apart.

2. I flipped the problem block over (without changing the orientation), and the colors in my top row appear to be the same now. I had some trouble resewing that one block, so I ended up redoing the entire row. Even though I marked the wrong side, I couldn't figure out how to position the fabric so that the seam ended up on the correct side.

3. When working with solid fabrics, how can I be sure that I'm consistently cutting along the right grain line?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the sweet comments about the back! I'm happy with how it turned out, and I can't wait to start quilting! Here's a peak at the front:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384538[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails i-kq9gqjq.jpg