Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did I use the "wrong" side?

Did I use the "wrong" side?

I pieced the back of my first quilt today. I used solid colors and because I couldn't tell which side was the front and which side was the back, I didn't pay much attention to the "right" and "wrong" sides. When I stepped back to admire my work, I noticed that one of the blocks is "backwards" and it's a much darker shade than the rest of the back (I used Kona Cotton in Steel).

Do I need to take the row apart, flip the block over and resew it? If this was caused by ironing, will the color return to normal after I wash my finished quilt?

If it was caused by ironing, it should have returned to its original colour after it cooled. So what's wrong with having a 'unique' look to the back of your quilt? In my opinion, if it is going to bug you every time you see it, open it and 'fix' it. If you really don't care all that much, let the difference grow on you and tell anyone who notices, that you planned it that way.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    A picture might help us see what you are talking about.

Thanks for your help, Ginger. I read this article (http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-89.html) and it said:

"... if your solid is a dark color such as black you want to iron it on the wrong side so the shine from ironing is not on the right side."

Does washing fabric remove the shine from ironing?

I'm sorry for all of the dumb questions. This is my first quilt and my first time sewing, so I don't know anything about fabric or how to correct problems other than completely redoing sections.

Here is a picture of the back... the middle block in the top row is the one I'd like to fix. Can I just rip that block out and resew it, or would it be better to redo that entire row?

Name:  back1.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  282.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Now is a good time to fix before it is quilted. Yes, you can take out as little stitching as is necessary - just the sides and the bottom plus two inches on either side. Sew the sides back in first after you flip the offending block (make sure it's okay - you have no idea how many of us make the same mistake over again), then sew the opening across the bottom of the block including the extra. Your seam ripper will become a good friend as you continue in your quilting. Be sure to post a picture when you are finished. We love pictures!

Power Poster
    Check to make sure the other side is the one you want outward and then mark the wrong side with a piece of chalk. Why mark it? It looks so close in colour that you might sew it in wrong again. As bad as taking out a block once, it is even worse when you have to do it again and again....

If it's bothering you, you should take it out and turn it around. If it doesn't bother you too much, I'd leave it. You could have "done it on purpose(wink wink)!!!"
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Before you take it apart, turn it 90 and look at it from that side, take a picture to compare if that helps. Does the one that is darker now look lighter than the others? Assuming all the Steel is from the same bolt, the color difference could simply be caused by the difference in grain (lengthwise vs crosswise cutting). Kona cotton is yarn dyed so there should be no difference at all between front and back, but light does reflect differently depending on the direction of the grain and it can be very noticeable in solids.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 12-22-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Humm...leave it call it a humility block.

I say only fix it if it bothers you!

I would fix it, because it's going to bug you forever and it's the first thing you'll see every time you look at it. That said, I love your color and pattern choices. It's going to be beautiful.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

If the problem block is on the back of the quilt, it may not matter too much once the quilting is done. This is a beautiful backing you made...it is is gorgeous!!!

It does seem like a lot of difference to me . I wouldn't think any kona cotton would have any difference in front side and back side. I kown a lot of fabrice are not printed so the dyes are the same front and back, but usually there is enough difference that you would know right away if you were piecing them wrong.
    I would take it apart and resew, buy maybe first just to get that top edge down next to the other on and see if there really is that much difference.

That is an easy fix. If it bothers you, take it out and replace it. If it is not offensive to you, just act like you intended it to be that way

There is a right side and "the other side." It on the back and doesn't make any difference in my way of thinking.

Blog Entries
    I sure wouldn't take it out. I actually like it. It is all different. why not?

Blog Entries
    I would take the whole top row off, take the sides off and totally resew it. It doesn't work for me that it'll go away and I'll forget about it or "don't tell anyone - they won't notice it." Sorry, I know and if I worked hard enough on the quilt to make it right I don't want someone not to notice the work I did! I left a mistake on a quilt and I remember it - oh, boy, do I remember it. NEVER AGAIN! If it takes an hour out of your day, so what! You make a mistake, you right it and the hour is over!!!!!! The only time I will excuse a mistake that I have made is when I notice it after the whole quilt is totally done. Then I kick myself around the room a few times and say "Never Again." MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Been up since 4:00 AM getting ready for company and enjoying every minute of it!!!!! Baking, cooking, setting tables, putting down the Christmas carpet!!! We won it!!!!! Santa Claus - really sweet. Kids like it, Bess (the wonder dog loves it and we love it - have it out for two days a year (24-25) since 1989! Another tradition. Stollen is rising on top of the grate and still have to run to the store! Typical day at our house. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

i would leave it alone. Because of it's location in the center, and your use of solid blocks, it looks like a deliberate choice of colors/fabrics. I would not have looked at it said "Mistake". I would have thought it was a deliberate and well thought out fabric placement decision. Your decision is what will make you happy. If it will bug you, re-do it. Sometimes those unplanned things in a quilt end up being the best element. Nice choice of colors!

Blog Entries
    I just had a similar problem in a 1930's quilt - was so glad the top was together, but noticed one of the flower applique blocks in the center was sideways! It didn't take long to "unstitch" the block and sew it back in the correct way. If it bothers you, fix it. But it really doesn't look bad the way it is.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    In MHO, I'd leave it as part of the "design." It looks like a Piet Mondrian design.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

It looks like you might like contemporary quilts and if so, the middle piece top row is perfect. I like the shading and it looks like you meant to do this. As a matter of fact, I'd take this "mistake" and use it as an exercise in creating another solid quilt. Find the different shades and incorporate right and wrong side as an exercise in design.

I'll have to start w/ that I'd have to fix it because it would bother me. More important is for you to decide how you feel.

If you take it out to turn it over, lay it out, put the piece the "right" way and step back and look at it to make sure you're getting the look that you are wanting before sewing it back in.

Secondly - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the inspiration for me to use in the back of a quilt that I am finishing. The quilt top wound up longer than I had originally thought, and i don't have enough backing. This gives me an idea of something to do instead of just adding strips in the middle... Thanks again!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I personally would fix it! it is a really easy fix- just rip out the seams around the block and re-sew. unless the quilt is too big then just rip out the row. turn the block around then resew. Really should not take too much time. It must be bothering you since you shared it with us.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I hate taking things apart once they're sewn. It looks fine - it's an original design.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think it works well with the rest of the backing. I actually think it makes it look modern. It's placement is perfect! It's just a tad darker than the other background colors. I would make my backgrounds look like that on purpose!! JMHO!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast