Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you ever spend a large sum of $$$  and then ask yourself why?  lol >

Did you ever spend a large sum of $$$ and then ask yourself why? lol

Did you ever spend a large sum of $$$ and then ask yourself why? lol

Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suz
My sister is a rug braider and uses only 100% new wool. (I'm not sure I should say where this happened.) I was with her once when she purchased $1500 worth of wool. I just backed off and said "Dang"!

Her rugs are beautiful and extremely heavy. Her customers just plain love her rugs. -- She uses three strips 2" wide and when braided the strip is only 3/4" wide. She has taught me, but mine are only 1" wide. She's the braider, I'm the quilter.
I would love to go shopping with her!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM

You should go back over your receipt and see if she charged you too much for something or something rang up twice. The last time I was in JoAnns I got double charged for one item, it took off the discount from the wrong thing and she had to re ring the order. When it re rang, it was $18 less than the first time! I always keep a running total in my head, too, like a previous post said, and then double check my receipt before I move away from the register. I don't care how long the line is, it's my money and I want to know it's right before I walk away!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM

This is another way you can "make a mountain out of a mole hill" only you did it with money! Yes, I have done that. I have several things like little purses and bags that I could have purchased for $25 but cost me twice that! But, I had the fun of making it!!! Makes up for the extra cost - sort of!!! hahaha
Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM

I think we are in the wrong hobby/buisness if we have buyers remorse after buying fabric. Not many can go into the fabric store and buy just what they want and walk out. The only thing is we only have one fabric store and I don't like it, so I shop online and do the same thing.lol
Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM

It sounds like you have made a good start to your stash!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks for all of your replies/experiences.

I just double checked my receipt and everything is correct. But OMG...I just saw the price on the 1 1/4 yds. of fabric. It is from the same company as the jelly rolls and it goes perfect with them BUT...it was $7.99 a yd. making the total for what I bought $10.00. The jelly rolls were on sale for $9.09 ea./regular price $12.99. The Bundle was $9.09/regular price $12.99. The fusible batting 36"X45" is just what I need and it was $7.49. The other things were 2 pkgs. of stitch witchery at $4.79 ea. The plastic canvas was cheap...I needed the largest one they sell and it was $1.29. LOL

I won't need all of the solid jelly roll strips so yes...a good start to my solid colors stash. And I think I made an mistake on the price of the Omni Grid...it was $17.99 for the 3 1/2" X 24".

I WAS going to order online but too impatient to wait.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Almost every time I go in the grocery store, lol. And heaven help me if I let the dh go alone.

But yes, last time I innocently went into JoAnns looking to see if they had acid free tissue....I made the mistake of wandering around. I didn't even find tissue, and went out $30 later. Oh well
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 PM

I am making totes for friends and family as gifts, but am using all kinds of fabric from my stash. One uses strips for main body and the other calls for charms, but I just cut my own out of what I have. Here are the sites for the two I am using. (and the recipients love them)
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/08/...-tote-bag.html

http:/mypatchwork.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/tote-bag-tutorial/
both were free patterns.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Absolutely!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I worked hard for a lot of years to be able to retire and do what I wanted. As long as my bills are paid and there is food on the table I don't feel bad about spending my money on things I want, fabric included.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , I hear yah ;;;Dottie Bug