Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed? >

Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed?

Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM

OOOH I never thought about that. but I would ask her. You are just wondering what happened not asking for it back. It was wonderful for you to make it and she was so happy before she passed.
yes ask
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM

My sisters and I made a quilt for my grandmother for her 85th birthday. I finished it and hand quilted it. I put a lot of time into it. It was an autograph quilt and we had people who were at her party sign it. Two years later she died. After the funeral we went back to her house. My mother went up and got it and gave it to me. She wanted to make sure that I had it back. It hung in my family room for a few years.

Thanks for the memory of this. The anniversary of her birth and death (She died a half an hour before her 87th birthday) is this weekend. I still miss her.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM

MI made one for a favorite Aunt when she entered the nursing home. My cousin took pictures so I have that memory of her joy of receipt. It was mentioned at her funeral that her favorite grandson now has it. I spoke to him about it and he treasures it. I did place a label with my words of what she meant to me and dated it. I know it will be well taken care of.

I truly hopes yours is warmly enjoyed too.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM

double post - my apologies
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM

I believe that no matter where a quilt ends up, it is being enjoyed by someone.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Once I give a quilt away, It is no longer mine or is it my business as to what happens to it. I am to busy making new quilts to give away to worry about or fret over quilts that have made their way into the world. I don't even mind if they are used as dog beds. Someone loves them!
peace
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM

This brings back something! My Mom always made each grandchild a quilt when they got married. All cherished the gift, but during the floods in Des Moines in 93, she was at a nephews place for a visit and she saw her quilt floating in the water in the basement. She was so hurt! She said no more Grandkids get quilts. Of course, she did continue to give quilts to Grandkids. I don't think alot of people understand the money or the time that goes into making a quilt.

I guess I didn't understand what goes into a quilt until I did one. But I agree once we give it, it is no longer ours.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Anything I make or give to my mom goes to either my brother or sister! I have stopped making things for her, as I find it absolutely hurtful.

TreeFrog
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

I made a quilt for my grandmother many years ago and added my full name to the back since I was named for my mother, my father and my grandmother - my name is JOAN LORRAINE(2 letters for John and 2 letters for Anita, my parents and my middle name is after Gram. I had hoped it would come back to me someday but it never did. I think part of that is because we lived on opposite coasts. I believe my aunt, her one surviving child now has it.
I had a wonderful older best friend quilter who needed to go into a facility when her time on this earth was becoming to a close. I used blocks she had made to make a nice lap quilt to cover her in her last days. It included a picture of both of us on the label. When she passed a few weeks later her brother gave it to me. I cherish it and use it whenever I take a quick cat nap. In fact, I just used it a short while ago before signing on here. Each time I pull it out I am reminded of our long friendship. She was a treasure and this quilt is as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog View Post
Anything I make or give to my mom goes to either my brother or sister! I have stopped making things for her, as I find it absolutely hurtful.

TreeFrog
My MIL would give what we gave her for Christmas to her DD and gave her DD's gifts to us. After I realized what was going on I would ask my SIL, her DD, what she'd like for Christmas and suggest something we'd like for her gift to her mother.