Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed? >

Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed?

Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM

I have never wondered where they go after the person dies. I did make my Grandmother a quilted pillow with cross stitch in the center. It was a large pillow because she needed it to help keep her body partially upright when she slept. When she passed my sister made sure she got it back and gave it to me. I really didn't care if I got it back. It is something that is too big to display so It sits in the back of my closet. I will use it someday.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I'd ask and let them know that you were in such a hurry to give it to her that you forgot to put a label on it but would like to so that the family would always know for whom the quilt was made and when. Let them you'd like to fix that and put a label on it now if possible. I wouldn't get upset if it were no where to be found because things happen in sad times but just in case it was still around. I read once that if you were giving a quilt to someone in a nursing home you should put the label on before the quilting because others in the nursing home have been known to steel quilts and take the labels off. If it is in with the quilting it can't be taken off without it being noticed. I thought that would be a good idea no matter what.
I make my labels with Tshirt transfer sheets. Once these are ironed on, they can't be removed. They're washable and will last forever
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Wow what a compelling question, with great responses from both sides of the fence! After reading all the responses up to this point, I agree that once a gift is given it's no longer ours. However, reading your original post I think your heart's desire is to know what has happened to the quilt and that you'd like to put a label on it. In the end I would suggest you follow your heart and ask your cousin, yet be indeed prepared should you find that it's no longer in the family.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by patmas57 View Post
Chasing Hawk, I loved your reply. What a great send off package!
Thanks, doing this made it easier for me. I loved my Aunt dearly.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

My mammaw was a quilter. She also had 12 children. She had planned to make an Irish chain and put each of her children's names and birthdates in one of the plain squares. She never got it done. So, as her health began to fail, I made it for her in lap size.

When she died my DIL suggested to one of my aunts it would nice to display at the funeral. They did. Afterwards it was offered back to me. One of my aunts loved it so much I gave it to her. Now a few of my aunts and uncles want me to make them one!

I agree that I gave it and it is no longer mine. I am glad to know my aunt treasures it. Made more sense for her to have it.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM

I wish people would always put on a name label. I have some very old beautiful quilts with wonderful hand stitching that I purchased for very little money or they were given to me....no hint of who they were for, who made them, from what state or anything. Disappointing but I am going to put labels on those that don't have labels with "No known maker, collection of me and the date I am making the label, town and state. This might help if someone knows you quilt but that you didn't make it...and I've made plenty and in the beginning I never labeled them, wall hangings, lap quilts as when I started no one even mentioned them..but have done it ever since I was told
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Default I made a patriotic throw

for a dear friend of myt parents and close family friend. I knew he was terminal when I gave it to him, but the service had meant so much. He had even gone on an Honor Flight to Washington, DC at age 82 and it meant a lot. He loved the throw and I put a very caring label on it. When he passed, one of his daughters gave to the hospice that had taken such good care of him. And I get to know it is keeping another serviceman comforted...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My dad was living at a home and immediately after his death, we all had to go get his things out so we wouldn't be charged any more money. We took everything. I think when someone dies in a nursing home, their relatives are notified immediately and they go and pick up their belongings. I really doubt that anyone would throw out a quilt. A blanket maybe, but not a quilt.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Tink's Mom ..aka Susie...that was very sweet of you to share that quilt with your aunt. A gift like that has meaning beyond anything anyone can buy.

I kept the quilts I made for my parents before they died. Sometimes now I wish I'd placed them in the caskets instead. I kept them because the quilts were theirs, not because I made them.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM

I haven't given it much thought outside of family. But I know that some outside the family were kept by the children of the receiver.
In the family, it was't a quilt, but crocheted lap blankets that i made for my MIL. When she passed, my SIL wanted me to have it back. I did take it home with me, and I'm glad. I always think of her when I look at it.