Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family? >

Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM

yes they come from my mum , she had to sew out of nessarity with 5 daughters to cloth , embroidery comes from my grandma she loved it I have lot of her work and treasure it .
Cathy
Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 PM

My mom when she was alive used to draw really good. She also used to make little crafts like magnets that she painted. My aunt quilts and sews, that's how i got started. Other than that, not much in my family. My husbands family does alot of scrapbooking, sewing, quilting, crocheting and what not
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM

No sisters for me. I'm the eldest, but my mother, maternal grandmother, and my paternal great-grandmother made patchwork blocks and quilted. I used to watch them as a little kid.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM

My Mom oil paints and has made quilts in her older years. My Mom taught me to sew by hand and I taught myself the rest. My sister is not crafty. My step-daughter caught the crafty bug from me and she is very talented. My other three girls, not really. So it's not genetic - ha ha!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM

All of my family are artists, sisters, DH & kids. My SIL quilts & my brothers are into motorcycles. My mom does alittle regular sewing & mending. I guess I got the sewing gene from my mother's mother. she used to draw dresses from what she saw in the store & catalogues & then cut out a pattern from a paper bag.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM

I do things with the GKs when they come, something crafty or cooking. Only one has sewn a pillow last year in quilt class, age 7.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 PM

My grandmother on my fathers side of the family, quilted blankets from shirts or woolen slacks. I have two of her quilts. I use to watch her when I was little. One of her quilts needs to be fixed because some of the wool has holes in it. Does anyone know of a quilter who fixes old woolen quilts or how I could fix it my self?

My mother like to crochet, knit and cross-stitch.

I crochet and make quilts. I use to make all my Xmas gifts when my two boys were young.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM

My mother was definitely crafty! My sisters have some artistic abilities, but don't always keep active with crafts. It's a choice to make quilts, not a necessity!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM

my mom and my grandma always sewed. clothes, curtains, everything. my sister and i do also. and scrapbooking, crochet. we try most everything. my boys arn't real interested, but my grandneice is. she's beginning to sew and craft.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM

My mom made clothes from scratch. Grandma did too. Grandma learned to knit and crochet in her sixties and taught me. I knit, crochet, sew and make all kinds of crafts but quilting is my favorite. One neice does all kinds of crafts and is very good at crochet. One neice has learned to quilt. Their mom is good at making clothes and crocheting. PS---We're all great cooks!