Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did You Know - Flat Rate Envelopes >

Did You Know - Flat Rate Envelopes

Did You Know - Flat Rate Envelopes

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 AM

And did you also know that they won't let you send fabric in the flat envelopes anymore? If it puffs up the envelope at all, they'll tell you it can't be sent that way. :thumbdown:
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vivoaks
And did you also know that they won't let you send fabric in the flat envelopes anymore? If it puffs up the envelope at all, they'll tell you it can't be sent that way. :thumbdown:
Just sent some on Saturday in the flat cardboard Flat Rate envelope. No problems at all. And it was packed full.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Nan, I checked the website for legal size flat-rate envelopes Worldwide and it didn't have them, only for the US :(

For some reason the post office can't seem to get their act together. I had no trouble shipping stuffed envelopes until about 2 weeks ago and now nobody around me will accept them all taped. Everyone seems to have a different experience, including me. What a pain!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM

OK, dumb question time, but I have never used these before. The site says no charge for the envelopes and boxes, but how do you find out how much the postage is on these? Do you pay 10 times the postage when you order a box of 10? Thanks for your info on this.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM

June, My Postman told me to never put the red flag up on our mail box. He said that is a "red Flag" to all identity theives and mail theives. He said that all postman look in your mail box. If there is outgoing mail, they know and pick it up. We live in a very safe neighborhood, but the postman asked if I every saw people driving through on trash pick up days.....yes. he said that they are cruising for free "stuff". A red flag on your mailbox is an invitation.
D in TX
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

I've brought the FRE to the post office window - stuffed to about an inch thick - and they were accepted.

And the clerk knew that they contained fabric.

Another clerk did tell me that it should only need one strip of tape on one of the envelopes - but he took it anyway.

Sure seems like we are getting different information from our local post offices!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Nan, I checked the website for legal size flat-rate envelopes Worldwide and it didn't have them, only for the US :(

For some reason the post office can't seem to get their act together. I had no trouble shipping stuffed envelopes until about 2 weeks ago and now nobody around me will accept them all taped. Everyone seems to have a different experience, including me. What a pain!
They no longer have different boxes/envelopes for domestic mail vs. international. You use the same shipping supplies for both. On the USPS website it states: "All domestic Priority Mail packaging, including the flat rate envelope and boxes, are available for international shipping."

As to the tape issue: I was arguing this issue with three or four post offices across the country back in January.

And here is the official ruling taken from the USPS website: Note: Flat Rate prices are available when material is sent in a USPS-produced Flat Rate Envelope or Box. When sealing a Flat Rate Box or Flat Rate Envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container; provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.

Here is the link to the page on www.usps.com where you can find that: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/flat-rate-reference.htm

If you are having trouble with your local Post Office, just print out that page from the USPS website and bring it along with you. It is "the word from on high"; just ask to speak with the Postmaster and bring it to his/her attention. He/she should not be able to argue anymore upon being presented with the official ruling.

Yes, USPS is hurting for money and their workers tend to be looking for ways to bring more of it in, even a dollar or two at a time by assessing extra fees on envelopes that already had proper postage. Chalk it up to insufficient communication plus general nervousness on their part. Mostly the former!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
OK, dumb question time, but I have never used these before. The site says no charge for the envelopes and boxes, but how do you find out how much the postage is on these? Do you pay 10 times the postage when you order a box of 10? Thanks for your info on this.
The envelopes and boxes do not already have the postage on them. You can either fill the envelopes/boxes and pay the postage when you take them to the Post Office, or you can print your labels online and pay the postage online.

USPS brings the boxes/envelope to you for free. It's really a very good deal; if you had to purchase boxes they would probably cost you about 75 cents or more, including freight.

If you're looking to find out how much postage is for the various flat-rate products, follow this link:
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatep...lculatepostage
Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Thats how I get my envelopes, boxes, and such. What a great service.

debra
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
Oh Yes. Tried that this week and had to pay a different rate for them. :thumbdown: