Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did You Know >

Did You Know

Did You Know

Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 AM

I have only made one QOV quilt, which was made specifically for my daughter, who served 8 years in the USMC, including one year in Afghanistan. It was LA quilted by one of my friends and I supplied the batting. It was not a traditional red, white and blue quilt, but made with a jelly roll my daughter picked out. I will make at least two more QOVs, which I hope my friend will also quilt, one for my husband and one for my sister (who is also a quilter, but has never made a quilt for herself).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501926[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501927[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2014-11-18-susans-qov.jpg   2014-11-18-susans-qov-label.jpg  
Old 12-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I agree the donated quilts should be inspected for quality and good workmanship reps from the QV before being given to any soldier. I have seen many quilts that were donated to our guild to give out that were really bad. Cheap fabric, bunchy batting, sloppy piecing, crooked sewn bindings, and one even had a patch sewn on it from a dog chewing accident. These quilts will not be presented to anyone by our guild.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM

I'm with you on this one. Your quilting time and thread should be enough. I'd get together with a local group that understands what you can provide and will provide the rest. It wouldn't have to be a veterans organization, There are plenty of groups who need quilts and would appreciate your work.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 AM

For Veterans Day this year I pieced and FMQ'ed a QOV valor quilt for my 92 year old WWII grandfather. It was truly an honor to do so.

I did register it and made the official label as the QOV website requested. After reading the guidlelines I can understand how some LA'ers would be put off from volunteering their services. I have quite a few Veterans in my family and would make them QOV quilts (start to finish) in the future...
Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Michelle, I just got a little chuckle when I read the title of your post "Did you know .... michellesews" I'm thinking you are in the right place here on the Quilt board.

I'm proud of you for wanting to volunteer. Too bad that didn't work out but I see many suggestions here.

Oh, I just noticed it says by michellesews

That takes the fun out of my little observation.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I bet if you made some quilts and brought them to your local VA hospital or nursing home (they should know which patients are veterans), you would find someone to love and appreciate them. Not always necessary to get a national organization involved.
I agree! My guild does lap quilts for the VA hospital close to us. I feel it is just as important to give to the veterans as a "thank you". My hubby and my oldest son are veterans and I have another son who will retire after 30 years in 2015.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM

The nonprofit group I belong to, Quilts From the Heart, gives quilts to our local Veterans Hospital every year on Veterans Day. We started making and giving patriotic quilts because a veteran suggested it to his neighbor, one of the members. The veteran had the name of a senior nurse who took on the responsibility of making sure the quilts went to the patients. ckcowl's suggestion is a good one. The organizations she mentioned probably have the resources to get the quilts to the people who deserve them.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
me too I had to stop
The last Quilts for Kids quilt I finished and mailed off cost me $12 to ship it. I cannot afford it any more. I make quilts for "The Linus Connection" and "Thank You Quilters(wounded warriors @ Ft. Hood,TX). Both are local to me, so that's what I do.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-10-2014, 03:12 AM

I didn't know that. It's sad when an charitable organization becomes so successful it outgrows itself. I give locally or through my church missions. Then I usually know where my money and/or services are being used and for what.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Check with the VA Hospital if there is one in your area. They have specifications for wheelchair quilts. Also, there is always a need for walker bags. Anyone who has ever had to use a walker for any reason will tell you that it is a blessing having something on the walker to carry stuff.