Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you start sewing in 4-H? >

Did you start sewing in 4-H?

Did you start sewing in 4-H?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 AM

I started sewing at my mom's knee, making doll clothes from her scraps. Then in Jr. High, I took home ec. Loved the sewing part but hated the cooking (still do). Started making my own clothes at 14 and made my clothes plus 3 daughters. Never really did "fun" sewing until I started quilting classes. I don't sew clothes now, just "piddle" with quilting. Maybe I'll do more than that when I retire.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 AM

My sister taught me to sew the year before I was old enough to join(I must have been 9-you had to be 10 back then)I took a sewing project every year until i was too old. DH and I are now advisors, all my kids went through 4H until they aged out. All four girls are quilters and my sonca sew, too. As someone pointed out before-4H isn't just for farm kids. It has really taken hold in cities with school enrichment and afterschool clubs.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM

I also was in 4-H in grade school. Made an apron and shorts even though I could not wear them since we couldn't wear shorts or pants then. I took Home Ec. in High School for the next four years. I made dresses and even made an evening gown. today I sew, do alternations and quilt. I love to quilt.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM

home ec class for me. had a great teacher
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM

No, I never even heard of 4-H until well after I started sewing.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM

My mom taught me early on a Singer treadle way back. Then I did go to 4-H and loved it. Won a style show and got a pair of scissors as the prize. Still have them. Also learned more from a good Homemaking Teacher and it has never stopped since. I still love sewing of any kind.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 AM

I learned to sew during my three years with the Riverdale, ND 4-H Club, I won't divulge how many years ago. I was in Jr. High then. It was a great organization and our sewing projects were very challenging.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM

I started in Home Economics in high school. Back then (in the olden days) every girl was required to take this class 4 years and all boys were required to take agriculture. I learned the basics, but I didn't actually start sewing until much later when my first child was born and she was a girl. Been sewing ever since. LOVE IT!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 PM

I too started sewing in 4-H. Does anyone remember pulling 1 thread all the way through the material, then cutting along that line to get the tea towel on the straight of the grain? I used my Mom's featherweight portable to sew everything on, even my floor length chiffon prom dress. I loved to sew & continued sewing for my 3 children, hubby and now grandkids. My Mom was a wonderful quilter; I haven't taken it up yet, but plan to soon. I love looking at all the beautiful quilts on this site. Love crafting, that is what keeps idle fingers busy :)
Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM

I tried to learn to sew when I was in junior high but couldn't understand some of the processes. I took my project to my grandmother, who was an alteration lady, and she showed me how to thread and run the sewing machine. Her machine was an old treadle from abt 1920 and ran like a dream. She thought my Hom Ec teacher was a fool ;-> I never thought about it but I guess I have sort of followed in my grandmother’s footsteps. I don’t make clothes like she did but I do love choosing the fabric and putting the quilt tops together. I am very good at problem solving like she was.