Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did Your New Machine Transform Your Quilting?

I can't tell you all how helpful your comments have been! Obviously I'm considering a new machine and had just about talked myself out of it. I love my old Kenmore. My husband bought it for me. I was thinking I just needed to keep at it and learn to better use what I already have, but after reading your comments I really think a more up-to-date machine would be a great benefit. Now to decide which one! Thanks for all your comments....but please bear with me. More questions to come, I'm sure!

HI--noticed your Tree quilt. A neat idea to just use one. It looks like the Piecemaker tree quilt. Have you done the rest?
    I did the whole "calendar" and it hangs on our living room and so enjoy it. Couldn't help but notice yours. Quilter in AZ

Well for me I was having a real hard time with stright 1/4 seams on both my Babylock and Elna. Then joing here and reading about the vintage machines I ran across one a 15-91 cheap and now I can stitch a stright consistant 1/4 in seam with it. My peiceing is getting better as I keep going. Feed dogs are closer together and my material feeds in stright as with my other ones it feeds in cockeyed and I have to keep a death grip on it. So I am happy with my 63 year old machine, and use my Babylock for embroidery and fancy stitching, and my elna is just a nice little backup machine

Hind sight I would have bought a used long arm and then pieced on a vintage machine like a Singer 301 or 401. I would have skipped the embrodery machine all together. I do like and quilt on my Janome 6500 but a long arm machine on a frame would have been nicer. I do miss the automatic thread cutter and sewing foot knee lifter when not using the janome 6500.

There was an instant and dramatic improvement in my piecing when I went from an old Montgomery Wards machine to a new Pfaff 2030. You couldn't sew a straight quarter inch seam on the Wards machine, you had to sort of sew at an angle. Even the quarter inch foot didn't help on that machine. It always made a groaning sound with the quarter inch foot on it.

I can't free motion on the Pfaff but I can straight line quilt on it with no problems because of the built in walking foot.

It made a huge difference for me. The machine sewed so poorly (tension issues, stitch length, etc) that I actually hated sewing. When I got a new machine (just happened to be digital) it did such a wonderful job that I remembered how much I loved to sew.

Whether the machine is mechanical or digital is less important than whether or not it sews well. You have to find the machine that you love to sew on.

Yes, it made a tremendous difference! I have my mom's Singer 100 which is ok for piecing.... and great for grandchildren to begin on. I've had an old Viking cam style (was the "best" when it came out and great for sewing clothes), then a Baby Lock which I got because a quilting friend (I was a beginner) liked hers so much... BUT she is a machine piecer and a hand quilter! The Baby Lock died on me (burned it out). The repairman man told me the best repair record on mid-priced machine (Bernina is out of my range) was the Jannome 6600 (this was a couple of years at least ago). I can do anything I've thought of doing with it. I'm in hog heaven!

Yes and it made me walk on water also LOL All kidding aside a machine can only do what you can do. I have basic machines and fancy dancy ones too but I am still me and no mach8ien is going to change that. Wish they could...

Blog Entries
    I am hoping to get a longarm so I can start quilting my own tops!

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
    Just wondering. If you went from and older mechanical machine to a new computerized one, did your quilting drastically improve? Or if you just upgraded to a really nice machine, did you drastically improve? Was your new machine transformational? If so, why do you think?
    About 18 years ago I went to a then "new" Bernina and although computerized it wasn't on a par with those of 2011. It absolutely transformed my quilting. The stitching was even, the seams were straighter and I enjoyed what I was using. I only piece on the machine and send all large, queen sized quilts out to be quilted. I have no desire for a long arm machine.

Blog Entries
    I took an 8-week course to cover all basics of quilting. We used the book "Machine Quilting Made Easy" by Maureen Noble. That improved my confidence level. IF I actually practiced - now THAT would improve my skills. The sewing machine helps though and my Baby Lock is a smooth operator.

The big change for me was getting the larger throat opening so I can get more quilt into it for machine quilting. Also the automatic thread cutter is a time saver as well as a thread saver. I think this one will do me for a long time to come. Its a Pfaff Expressions 4.0 Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MIJul
    Yes! Finally got a Pfaff and I can't believe what a HUGE difference it made to have that IDT. My quilting is much better, more even and way easier to do.
    What's an IDT?

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    There was an instant and dramatic improvement in my piecing when I went from an old Montgomery Wards machine to a new Pfaff 2030. You couldn't sew a straight quarter inch seam on the Wards machine, you had to sort of sew at an angle. Even the quarter inch foot didn't help on that machine. It always made a groaning sound with the quarter inch foot on it.

I can't free motion on the Pfaff but I can straight line quilt on it with no problems because of the built in walking foot.
    Drop your feed dogs and loosen your bottom tension just a smig, and you should be able to FMQ okay. Jan

I don't know about "better" but a new machine will definitely more than the old ones do and make some techniques easier.

I have a Sapphire 830 with a 10 in throat and it helped alot, it also has needle down another big help.
    But as I said before nothing is as good as a long arm so am having a table with a strait stitch delivered this Mon. I am so excited. Still not a long arm but works the same way, just a smaller area to quilt on.

I don't really see a long arm in my future, but would like to have another machine. I would like the stitch regulator, the needle down feature, a longer throat and the on off button that can be used instead of pushing the pedal. I think those features would be wonderful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenowc
    I would say yes. I was lousy at FMQ on my Bernina. Bought a mid arm and I love that once it's loaded, I have no problems with bunching or puckers. The backs look as good as the fronts. Also, I have the free motion control on the mid arm and it does a really nice even stitch.
    Karen, what mid arm did you buy? And, which stitch controller? I have a Nolting Fun Quilter with Intellistitch and am having problems with poor stitch quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2