Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difference between quilting cotton and muslin >

Difference between quilting cotton and muslin

Difference between quilting cotton and muslin

Old 11-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Difference between quilting cotton and muslin

I’m very excited! A fellow QB member, Iceblossom, has gifted me with a box of homespun fabrics so I can make a dorm quilt for my college bound son. Thank you Iceblossom!

so I’m trying to decide if I want to pair the fabrics with a muslin or a quilting cotton. I like the look of the muslin, it seems to “go” with the homespun but I’m worried about durability. Is quilting cotton (say Moda brand) more durable than muslin (also Moda)?
Also my son likes the feel of smooth cool to the touch fabric so in picking a backing, I’m wanting to honor that preference. I have no idea if muslin is cool to the touch like quilting cotton?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

"Muslin" is almost a generic term. It can be very coarsely/loosely woven - or it can be very smooth and luxurious feeling.

The Legacy muslin from JoAnn feels "wonderful" - but it does shrink.

So I strongly recommend soaking it in hot water for at least a couple of hours, and then washing it gently before using it.

I also purchased some Roc-Lon muslin that said "pre-shrunk" on the label on the end of the bolt -
I did my usual soak and wash - it shrank a lot!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:58 AM

I don't think there is really a durability issue between "cotton" and "muslin", but muslin comes in various weights from very light to pretty heavy. I'd want to actually touch it myself before deciding, but I'd expect to be happy with a Moda product. I rather like the untreated look of unbleached muslin with the little flecks sometimes in it, other people happily use bleached muslin as white in their tops.

I typically use Kona solids, especially when ordering on line because I know what to expect. With my own projects I was using an off-white that was basically a muslin color.

Don't know about the relative coolness, but for a long time muslin was one of the only extra wide fabrics and used for quilt backing. That could be a rather thick thread but loose weave more like sheets, again -- I'd want to feel it in person first before committing myself.

I'm so glad those homespuns found a project with you. People have to be careful about mentioning wanting fabric sometimes... I'm lurking and have some designated things to go when the opportunity comes up!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:07 PM

I love Legacy Premium Muslin from Joann’s, it’s got a wonderful soft silky feel to the back and is very soft! I purchase it by the bolt and use it as backings on many of my quilts. I’ve never had any issues with excessive shrinking or any issues with quality, and it shows the quilting wonderfully when it’s all done, as you can see on the back of this quilt that I recently finished, and after washing.
Attached Thumbnails 573f060d-f6b3-4d06-a172-13cea850c2a1.jpeg  

Last edited by tallchick; 11-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

If I remember correctly, it shrank about 2 inches in length per yard.

I had torn off lengths for curtains - and I am so glad that I made them longer than I thought I would need.

I am one of those "measure before and after washing" persons . Most of the time, cottons do shrink - and usually more in one direction. So far, I have not been able to predict which way it will shrink more - lengthwise or crosswise.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I prefer quilting cotton over muslin. Muslin always feel flimsy to me and I've bought many. You could get an off white, say Moda for example that would go well with homespun. I can't wait to see it!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:19 PM

I always think of muslin as being slightly coarser with less "processed" cotton in it, but I haven't actually shopped for it in many years. If you want to guarantee that the fabric will be softer, go for the non-muslin cotton. But I suspect that either muslin or other cotton would be fine.

Iceblossom is a kindly soul. I know this because she adopted me for a quilt show once . "Life issues" got in the way of actually meeting up, but I'm still hoping we can meet someday.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

I have bought bleached muslin that had a fabulous feel after I washed it in my usual coldwater Tide. I would never soak new fabric in hot water. If I had known how wonderful it was I would have bought all they had.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:56 PM

I buy Moda's premium muslin wideback for the long arm and love when I have left overs and can use on tops too. It's wonderful. think I would use Moda solids (for color) on front and muslin on the back.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have bought bleached muslin that had a fabulous feel after I washed it in my usual coldwater Tide. I would never soak new fabric in hot water. If I had known how wonderful it was I would have bought all they had.
I usually do all my laundry in cool to warm water with a cold rinse.

The reason I do the soaking in hot water - I "assume" that the recipients may - or may not - know the "proper" way to wash a quilt - and I do not want them to get an unpleasant surprise if they happen to wash the quilt in hot water.

However - I know that some stains are set with hot water - and I am terrified of bleach, burns, and tears.

I think that it is long agitation in an overloaded machine that makes a fabric look "worn" when washed.
Overloading a dryer also causes abrasion to fabric - and clothing.