Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation? >

Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation?

Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
....I have some Olfas around that I use for cutting mat board with an exacto. They work fine for that.
I use my Olfa mats for cutting with an exacto knife frequently, and then *still* use them for cutting fabic with NO problems! Gosh, they don't need to be saved just for this.

If they look "fuzzy" or "grooved", I just wipe them down with a slightly-more-than-damp sponge -- sometimes with a drop of detergent, too, if they've gotten a mark or two on them......or if I've spilled my ever present Coke.

Jan in VA
Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I just got a Martelli at a show. It's much thicker than the Fiskars and Olfa, reversible, and feels different and better when you cut. One side is yellow, the other a light purple, so all you have to do is reverse the mat if you can't see some fabrics. I had a Big Mat, it was OK, I have some Olfas around that I use for cutting mat board with an exacto. They work fine for that.
The Martelli mat was recommended by a friend who is a very prolific quilter. I did buy mine years ago and I found that my blades do last longer as does the mat.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 AM

I bought a Fiskar mat, rotary cutter and ruler as a package to replace an Olfa mat that I'd had for years. With a coupon at JoAnn's it was cheaper than just buying a mat. When I stored it I kept it in the box it came in so it would remain flat. It warped so badly I can't use it. I'm sticking with Olfa as I've had such good luck with them.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I have an olfa, dritz, fiskar, and Sullivan. My fiskar is old and well used. My cutters skip a bit on all of them but not near as much since I bought titanium blades. I also figured out that the cutting is better when I stand rather than sit. Go figure
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Vat

I agree that the Martelli mat and rotary cutters are much ahead of other brands. Have had mine for several years and will not buy anything else.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:21 AM

I have a fiskars mat and rotary cutter. I like pink so bought them solely on the fact that they are pink. I've never had a problem with my mat or cutter. Once I figured out how to switch which side the blade was on cuz I'm a leftie it worked perfect. My only issues with it have been user error not due to the product.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 AM

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...tting-mat.html
I'll add this to what Jan stated.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:49 AM

I bought the Big Mat at a quilt expo well over a year ago, and I do not have to replace the blades as often as I did in the past. sewingemporium.com
Old 10-06-2013, 04:54 AM

I have replaced my mat two times in 10 years. It gets grooves in it. I try to twitch it around but when I bought a new one it worked a lot better. I buy Olfa mats.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:54 AM

I replaced the mat on my cutting table and it is the pits, it didn't take any time to get ridges cut into the mat and it dulls the blades really fast. As soon as the budget allows I will get a olfa mat for my table, it definitely makes a difference!