Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation? >

Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation?

Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Default Differences in cutting mats... or is just my imagnation?

I bought a Fiskar mat a few months ago when I re-did my cutting table and just used a small Olfa rotating mat to square up some small blocks; and there is a big difference in how well the rotary cutter works on each of the mats. The rc does a much better job on the Olfa mat! On the Fiskar, the blade seems to skip more, not cutting the fabric. When I can replace the Fiskar, I'm getting a bigger Olfa! Chris
Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM

I know that I prefer the Olfa mat, don't know that it is better.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

​I do love my Olfa mat.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

My cutting table is a folding utility table. Gives a little. So I put a piece of plywood a little larger than my mat under the mat. That gave me a solid surface to cut on. Before that my rotary cutter would skip also on the larger mat. Mine are both Olfas.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

the fiskar mat I have is a cutting mat- but not a 'self healing' mat- which the olfa is- that is the difference in the 2 mats that I have- so they do 'behave' differently- generally I use my fiskar one when using my pinking blade, or cutting fabrics that are not cottons-or are heavy (like canvas, denim or silks & wools that tend to be a bit different to cut.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:25 PM

You know, I have a Fiscar mat and 45mm rotary cutter, I have had it for about 15 years, I have to press very hard and it skips no matter what I do. I haven't used it a lot in the 15 years. I wonder if the mat gets old and becomes unusable??
I see the rotary cutters used on utube and other videos and theirs seems to works so easily- nothing like mine, I replaces the blade and everything nothing helps.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM

I have a little rotating Fiskar to keep next to the sewing machine but I don't like it. The surface is too hard & rigid. Much prefer my olfa.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM

That's it! I am buying an Olfa mat today! I have to push so hard on my mat I end up with a backache!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM

I had never really tested both like I have in the last day or so but that Fiskar mat will get used for something else! Don't need the biggest mat, maybe something like an 18" or something close to it. Chris
Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM

WHOA!! Am I correct that you are indicating that it's NOT my rotary cutter blade, but the MAT that is making it skip?? Seriously?? I DO have an OLFA mat.... now what?? I bought a Titanium blade and a new Rotary cutter... it cut like hot butter.... for a short time anyway! Hmmmm...... Could it possibly be that we are hitting spots on our mats that aren't in perfect condition causing the blade to skip?? I must admit I get so perturbed after I cut and discovered those areas that are holding by a thread or two!