Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
different lap quilting method >

different lap quilting method

different lap quilting method

Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
I attended a class a few months ago on a lap quilting, or quilt by the block, method that was different. It was made with the backing maybe 3 in. larger than the top and a strip sewn on the top and quilted as you go. the difference was when you are finished you didn't have handwork on the backing to do. It was already sewn together. The instructor created this method herself. I lost the notes I took. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Would love to use this. She used it with strip piecing in the blocks but it could be used for any kind of block.
hi many yrs ago[12]one of the first quilts i made was from a book"week end log cabins by marti michel"it wsa very easy,but a lot of hand work to sew srrips down on the back.the newer versions shiw how to do it all by machine.thats the one i want to try next as i can't hand sew any more. the quilt was funto do,and very easy .
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 AM

Thanks purplemen for the link....I watched it and it is perfect for some of my new projects!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Thanks purplemen for the link....I watched it and it is perfect for some of my new projects!
you are very welcome.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM

I strip quilt quite often.

Piece your blocks together and sew together a whole row.
Cut batting and backing slightly larger than your strip.
***Quilt to within 3 inches of the edge.
Lay the next strip of backing face up.
Lay your quilted piece on top also face up.
Lay the next strip of pieced blocks on top of that face down. Pin in place and sew with a 1/4" seam.
Lightly press your seam so that the backing and top of next strip are down away from the quilted strip. Lay it out flat, fold back the pieced top, lay a new strip of batting on the backing, bring the top down over it. Baste and quilt ***Repeat until done then just quilt the 3 or so inches all the way around the edge and put your binding on.
If this method is patented by someone I don't know. All I know is that I had to get a quilt quilted on a small machine and didn't know how else to do it. It went fast, was easy up until the very last then it got heavy. I wouldn't recommend this method for an heirloom quilt but if it's one that's going to be used and loved well then go for it. If you want it to really look nice, leave your quilting threads loose and long at the edges and work them into the batting layer with a hand needle later.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

That is new to me. Let us know what you find out.