Different methods for bargello? >

Different methods for bargello?

Different methods for bargello?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

You will enjoy it! Have fun!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl222
Thanks for all the input. I guess I just need to get started on one and see it all in action. I still am having a little trouble understanding it all, but I'm going to give it a go!
I had serious problem grasping the whole "Bargello method" . Maybe it was the idea of "un-sewing" that just had me mentally put off from the start. But.... once I actually did one ... I was in love with the method/process. You can get awesome results with not nearly the efforts ... if you had to put the pieces together in a traditional manner. Do take the time to work thru it .. it will be worth it.!
There are a few varitations on the same results, but being called bargello. I learned at the start of the popularity that it was making the strip sets , then sewing the last strip to the first strip , making a "tube" and working with the order that the seam was taken apart to form a new strip "set" or lenght. that created the bargello effect. I have seen several books and video's that are calling them selves Bargello that are in from what I was taught ... just different methods of strip piecing.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I undone the stitches in mine! :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by B. Louise
I've used the tube method to do Trip Around the World. You can see a tutorial of that at Quiltville.com--Bonnie Hunter's site.
I haven't moved on to the more complex bargello yet.
Just curious - did you cut off at the seam allowance or take out the stitches? I saw Elenor Burns cut hers at seams.
I unsew my Trip Around the World quilts.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by B. Louise
I've used the tube method to do Trip Around the World. You can see a tutorial of that at Quiltville.com--Bonnie Hunter's site.
I haven't moved on to the more complex bargello yet.
Just curious - did you cut off at the seam allowance or take out the stitches? I saw Elenor Burns cut hers at seams.
I unsew my Trip Around the World quilts.
[i]If Trip Around the World is a form of bargello, I don't think I will ever do one. I got the Eleanor Burns Trip Around the World book, cut everything, stripped everything and when it came time to put it together, it made no sense to me at all. I redid the whole thing, made it a regular quilt and gave the remaining strips away. I couldn't stand to look at it again. It is now a Quilt of Valor delivered Saturday to a soldier in Texas who is home on leave. I doubt he will ever realize all the angst I had over it and it is making someone happy without even being a Trip Around the World. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM

I haven't done a bargello, but when I did the tube method I unstitched the row I needed to undo the tube. But, I needed the blocks the full size that I had originally sewn them together in.

Cutting seems like a waste, but if you are going to square up the outside edges anyway(on one pattern I saw, the seams were NOT lined up horizontally, they were all off by some variable amount for effect, and so the final had to be squared up all the way around, then one way or another you are snipping some bits of fabric away. Then, it makes sense to just go ahead and cut because the cut will happen later at that junction point anyway.