Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different stabilizer? >

Different stabilizer?

Different stabilizer?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 AM

Default Different stabilizer?

I am constructing a medium sized camera bag from a pattern. Due to restrictions still in place in my area I have to use stabilizer I have on hand. I have enough "Bosal" single sided for all but 2 pieces I was going to use 2 pieces of Pellon "flexfoam" to complete the bag.There seems to be a n negligible difference in the widths.Anyone ever use 2
different brands/types in a bag?
Thanks for your input!
Old 05-26-2020, 04:12 PM

I have used different foam stabilizers before in the same bag. I try to keep the same pieces stabilized with the same stabilizers - i.e. all the pockets with one, and then the body stabilized with the other. The difference in thickness (is this what you meant by "width") will only matter where parts butt up against each other.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I have used different foam stabilizers before in the same bag. I try to keep the same pieces stabilized with the same stabilizers - i.e. all the pockets with one, and then the body stabilized with the other. The difference in thickness (is this what you meant by "width") will only matter where parts butt up against each other.
Thanks! That is exactly what I meant by "width"-I didn't explain myself too well. I too thought as long as the components weren't uneven on each side it would look fine but had never tried it.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 AM

I have not used different stabilizers in a single project. I am a bit picky on that one so I buy by the bolt. I am pretty observant when I am getting low.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:15 AM

I don't mix different brands as I'm not sure how they will hold up if they are washed.

One of our class instructors told us to piece any left-over pieces. You can use a zig-zag stitch to hold them together. I tried that method for a strap but could still see a fold line after it was pieced so re-cut the strap.pieces.