Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different threads in same quilt ? >

Different threads in same quilt ?

Different threads in same quilt ?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:10 PM

I use different colors both for piecing and for quilting. How many different colors I use in a particular quilt depends on the effect I want to achieve-- for example, if I want the quilting to be mainly a texture I'll use threads that blend in with the fabrics being used, so I might need to use multiple colors to match fabrics if the quilt is scrappy. Or, I might want the quilting to stand out, so I might use multiple colors chosen to show up against the fabrics.

Rob
Old 04-25-2016, 04:11 PM

When piecing, I may use up left over bobbins. When quilting I will either match the background of the fabric or use a contrasting thread, but I rarely use the same thread in the entire quilt.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 AM

I promise you that the quilt police will not visit! You will probably be the only one that ever knows you used different thread.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:06 PM

When I piece, I use everything, because it never shows in the end. When I quilt...I often use different colors...If I am quilting over dark green leaves and want them highlighted, I will use a green, same with sky, etc....if you are asking about running out of thread, and quilting with the same color for most of it, been there, too...you can get a color close to what you're using and no one will be the wiser.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM

I'm of the school of "use it up", and use whatever is handy. Yesterday I went through the shoe boxes of thread at my church quilting group and brought home a dozen almost empty spools to put on bobbins for a scrappy top.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 AM

It depends on the look I am looking for. I have used one color sometimes if I want a real traditional look. Presently, today as a matter of fact, I am quilting a quilt for a grandson's graduation. I plan to use three different threads. For the major motifs I want to emphasize the fabric pattern I will use a matching thread. For borders I will use contrasting threads to show up the quilting motifs. The quilt has a pieced border and I will do SID to allow the piecing to show up-it took more time to make the border than all the rest of the quilt and I want it to show.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:47 AM

I generally piece with whatever I feel like. I love using up bits and pieces on bobbins. I generally quilt with the same color on the whole quilt, but that would definitely depend on what I was doing. There are no rules about it for sure!
Old 04-29-2016, 03:37 AM

I use whatever I need to use up when piecing but use the same or close to the same when quilting.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 AM

I see lots of answers about using different colours to match different areas of the quilt. But I think you are asking differently - substituting a similar colour in an all-over quilting design when you run out? I have done that - I had a bunch of half-full bobbins in various shades of brown for my longarm. I had a quilt with a really busy back, so I just used up all those odds and ends in the bobbin on that quilt. Looked fine. I would only do it if I was sure the changes would not show, or I could place them to look intentional, however. If the backing was plain, I would not have switched colours on that quilt.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:49 AM

Unless it is going in a show to be critiqued I would do as everyone has said use up what I have. I'm more concerned in quilting to keep same colour in same area.