Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different types of quilt frames....what do you use? >

Different types of quilt frames....what do you use?

Different types of quilt frames....what do you use?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM

I have a PVC floor model frame, I haven't used it in years. It looks really nice in the box in the corner. lol
Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 AM

I have a pvc frame that my hubby made but with the quilt that I am doing sashiko on right now I can't use it. This quilt has to be done the traditional Japanese way without a frame. Takes a lot of pinning though, but well worh the effort, I think.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 AM

I use a quilting hoop. They come in differnt sizes and are thiker than an embroidery hoop.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM

I can only tell you how I do it. I am not a professional by any means but have quilted around thirty in the hoop. I use a wooden hoop that is 18 by 26 inch oval. You lay our you backing in the floor with right side down. Next place your batting on. Then put you top on. Top up. Pin with quilters safety pins. (regular ones work) I just like the curve in the quilter's pins. It doesn't take too many just enough to hold everything in place til you get started good. Take them out as you go. Place Hoop in the middle of the quilt. the inside hoop goes under the quilt and the outer ring goes on top. Then you gently pull it till backing is smooth with no wrinkles. This is easily done up on the hoops side. pull downwards. Then just start quilting, moving your hoop as you need to. Work outwards from the center all the way around. It is very easy and can be done while sitting in any chair. I like my recliner where I can prop up my feet on foot rest. You can turn the hoop however you need it to work. Hope this helps you.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:20 PM

I also use the PVC frames that you can sit in a chair and utilize. That is all I have ever used (have done about 5 this way). Like the others I always start in the middle and work my way outwards. You can get them at Joann's and at my store, these fall under the "50% off quilting notions" or you could use your 40% off coupon and get one very reasonably. I have also heard of some people taking a pic of it to the lumber store and the guys there have made one up for them, custom made for the size that works for them.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM

This is what I use...
http://hinterberg.com/prod-22__Hoop_...Stand-196.aspx

It's a hoop on a stand that tilts and pivots. Loved it when I was learning (couldn't quilt in all directions) and still love it. Biggest complaints, having the quilt on the floor and the cats finding it a nice place to lay....

I have a quilting hoop without a stand (lap quilt), but the big one with the stand supports the weight of a large quilt. I've completed up to 96" square on it. If a thread runs close to a side and and the quilting design doesn't stop, I drop the thread and pick it up with I move the hoop.

If purchased mine with the gooseneck attachment and the half-hoop attachment (for edges - not as necessary if your leave lots of extra backing and baste the edges well).

I have (out in the wood shop) an antique quilt frame that's wide, but not too deep. My step-father bought it at an estate auction of $1. It has some split pieces, so hubby's going to fix it. Not in much of a rush, because the size just prohibits it from use. Too bad the idea of a parlor has gone out, that would have been a fantastic place to sit it and leave it.... I just need to work on getting half the garage converted.

OK, I'm done rambling. Don't know if I helped much.

Happy quilting,
Kara
Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 PM

Thank you everyone for this thread. I've really learned a lot!

A quilting friend of mine told me not to buy anything until she had a chance to look through her "toys". Evidently she has some things she doesn't use. So I am waiting for her until I make a purchase. But I've been looking pretty hard at the lap hoop with quilt stand that was linked to this thread earlier and a small PVC lap frame.

We shall see. Thank you #1 Piecemaker for the specific directions. Now I can envision it in my head.

I'll let you know (maybe with pics) what I end up doing.

Thanks again!!

Melissa
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM

I love the frame from heartlandquiltworks. It is fairly small, portable, attractive since its made of solid wood, sturdy with no parts to tear up, made by a family, and it's very easy to move your quilt around in it (even easier than a hoop). I just finished quilting my first quilt in it and loved it. check out their website heartlandquiltworks.com.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 AM

I am by no means any expert on this topic, since I am just getting into hand quilting. But, what was recommended to me is the Q Snaps hoops. They are light weight, portable, and even the floor stand is reasonably priced. Another nice feature is they can be used interchangeably to accommodate whatever size piece you are working on. check out their website; www.qnaps.com
Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM

One of my quilting buddies, as a gift, gave me a frame that her father had made. It's very beautiful, but small. It'll be a good size to start with. The bottom portion (the whole thing is wood), is shaped like a coat of arms from the middle ages. Then it has 3 or 4 piece shooting upward to hold the hoop. Then it's attached permanently to the inner portion of the hoop and the outside part clips on.

I'm starting work on my sampler this weekend. When it's finished I hope to quilt on it so I can get the hang of it. I learned to handquilt 3 years ago, but this will be the first time I am not using a full room frame. I need to learn on a smaller area.

M