Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different Way to Copy Paper Piece Patterns >

Different Way to Copy Paper Piece Patterns

Different Way to Copy Paper Piece Patterns

Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Instead of staples, you can iron freezer paper sheets together around the outer edges. This is what I do when I want to make multiple freezer paper templates for applique. A few dots of glue stick would adhere the copy paper to the freezer paper stack.
Thanks for the tidbit about freezer paper being ironed together; can use that in other applications. Just one of those little bits of info that is handy to have in the back of one's mind.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM

The problem I had with this method is that I sometimes found it difficult to see the perforations when stitiching.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM

This will be great. Thank you for sharing your method.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 PM

All of the above reasons are what makes this board such a learning tool!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM

I really need to keep track of good stuff I read here so can we still save posts/threads that we want to come back to later? I haven't tried this since the QB changed and can't seem to find a way to do it ):
Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I used this technique when resizing quilting stencils. I used tracing paper and I do use stapes to prevent slipping but you have to be so careful with placement. Usually copy machines shrink an item 1% so you have to do a few trial adjustment to make sure you have an accurate duplicate copies.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 AM

My exchange block group for the next exchange is paperpieced so this posting came timely for me. I have done paperpiecing but the copying is what I needed to research. The one thing that upsets me is the price of ink for copying. Granted I only have to do 12 copies but think I will do the stitch method on the the thinner paper. Might take longer but would be more accurate and less expensive. I suspect the chain piecing can still be accomplished for this method although I have not done that with previous paper pieecing. Someone tell me please that this can happen as I don't want to do all 12 blocks individually.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by franie View Post
My exchange block group for the next exchange is paperpieced so this posting came timely for me. I have done paperpiecing but the copying is what I needed to research. The one thing that upsets me is the price of ink for copying. Granted I only have to do 12 copies but think I will do the stitch method on the the thinner paper. Might take longer but would be more accurate and less expensive. I suspect the chain piecing can still be accomplished for this method although I have not done that with previous paper pieecing. Someone tell me please that this can happen as I don't want to do all 12 blocks individually.
Franie, Do you mean chain piecing the block? or the perforations? I would think 12 copies could be done by stacking and only stitching one time through all of them. And if chain piecing the actual blocks, could you direct me to how to do that with paper piecing? I learn so many great things on this board.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

There is a Craftsy class on how to chain piece paper-pieced patterns. It's called Quick-Strip Paper Piecing by Peggy Martin. She also has a book out on the technique.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Franie, Do you mean chain piecing the block? or the perforations? I would think 12 copies could be done by stacking and only stitching one time through all of them. And if chain piecing the actual blocks, could you direct me to how to do that with paper piecing? I learn so many great things on this board.
Yes I meant chain piecing the blocks as I assemble. Say I would put piece #3 on all the blocks, and #4 on all the blocks and so forth. Not sure it will work but you can bet I will try. And yes, I would stack the paper and sew through all the layers. At least I found the needed fabric in my stash all but one to do these blocks. I need to go buy batik dark purple--my fav. color. LOL really it is. I thought I had enough of one piece I am presently working with but I don't. Oh whoa is me, I have to go to the fabric store!