Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Digital magazines or books

Thumbs up for Zinio. I've had good experiences with their customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by gabeway View Post
    I like my paper copies because I tear out those paternal I like and file them in my to do binder.
    I have to have my paper copies- I have to have something "tangible" or I file it and forget about it if it's on the computer. I read my magazines over and over and only keep the patterns or tips that i want. I do have a "tip"file on the computer I use, but I have to have patterns where I can just pick them up and look at and compare.

I like the print versions of the quilt magazines better and am on the fence about digital copies; some I like some I don't.
    I have a space problem and will probably go digital but I don't think the software for the digital mags is very good.
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

With e version can you delete what you don't want from it? At least I can cut out something I want then toss the rest w/hard copy or pass it on to someone else. Also, can you print out from comp. version

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    The only thing I download to my Kindle is free books.
    I still prefer paper books and mags that I can pass around and refer back to.
    I have a library of keeper books that I just cant get rid of.
    You sound like me...I guess I am not hooked on this electronic age. Mags and books can't crash!!!! I have lost a "few" things on comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    I don't download and read books as I ONLY listen to books in audio format
    on my iPod (classic).

But I love magazines in digital format.

Although I getting HIGHLY upset with McCall's Quick Quilts digital. I purchased
    a subscription in Dec. and I still can not access it. I have sent 3 emails about
    this issue and have not received a response to any of them. Tomorrow I call
    and they WON'T like me after I get done.

I am hoping the 2 NEW magazines that came out recently will become available
    in digital format. They are "Quilt-it...Today" and "Sew-it...Today" these magazines
    are ONLY $3.99 newsstand price each. MUCH cheaper than any of the other mags
    in print. But you can get a subscription for about $13.00 (give or take). It is chock
    full of good stuff also.
    I just bought the mag Quilt-It, love the price-3.99and it has great stuff inside. I am going to subscribe to it--hard copy

I subscribe to the digital version of QuiltMaker. I did this because I don't have room for the print versions. So far this works for me. I do make sure that I save each issue to my hard drive. I don't know that I will resubscribe, but that has more to do with all of the junk mail that comes along with it - email and paper. Plus I already have so many projects lined up I don't need any more ideas right now!

"My FAVORITE magazine is Quilter's World for 2 main reasons.
    First because I get the digital version about 1-3 weeks before
    my print copy arrives.
    Second because with QW you can download and save to your
    computer ALL copies of the magazine including all the archive
    issues. "

I totally agree with this sentiment.

I subscribed to quilters world but it didn't give me the archived ones, is this because I'm in Canada I wonder.

I download mine as well and really love it especially when I'm traveling...I still like my hard copies though...I have an Ipad and have no problem reading them..
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    I like touching the pages of an actual quilting magazine...kinda like touching fabric. Love other things digital, tho.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    i have a combination of e- and hard copy. i have a file associated with my e-mail and that's where i put my e-copies. i can draw up my e-mail and start reading the mag in seconds(?). i do have to upload (or is it download?) them to my i-pad and then they are portable. my 18 mon old dgd has my nook so she can watch elmo and sing songs when they are in the car, or even waiting in line. surprisingly, she not only knows how to find her videos, she is very careful with it. i'm waiting for them to get her a used one, but right now i'm giving them netflix, too.
    i was a bookseller for many years and i love books, but physically i can't always read them. the ipad lets me get as close up as i want, and that is a real benefit. i've even used it to see other people's avatars when i can't figure them out (usually an animal) or if it's a quilt i get more detail. there is room in the world for both types of communication. i hope we will always have hard cover books and printed magazines.
    Last edited by nancia; 02-01-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I love to browse through my electronic books on my iPad. In fact, I posted just moments ago about it on my blog.

I just purchased Quilters World for my I-Pad. When I opened it it looks the size of a cell phone screen and won't let me make it larger. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how to enlarge? Is this the normal size?

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm still old school, I like the printed magazines. I like to put the mag with the project and know at a glance what I'm gathering the fabric for or have the mag on my cutting table. I even print the block instructions when I get a pattern off the Internet.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I subscribe to quilters newsletter on my iPad, love it and have bought copies of other mags on an individual basis, I love digital easy to see and easy to keep up with, and no paper piling up which weighs a ton, I also have a stand for my iPad if I want to do a project or something best 15 dollar investment ever...

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    If you push your button on the screen on the front on the IPad twice, it will life up and along the bottom of the screen (left and right) the things you downloaded will pop up on the screen, i.e. digital magazines. Scroll along the bottom only back and forth to each magazine. If you have an Apple TV (use to be $99) you can put your IPad screen up on your TV, even the magazine or your browser or email or movies or anything. Just scroll to the left before the fast foroward button is a square with a triangle. Push that button and click on 'Apple TV' and 'mirroring' and then touch the IPad screen and anything on your IPad will show up on your Apple screen. It's worth it. Apple TV gives you Netflix, Itunes, Hulu Plus, Itunes Music, Computers, Podcasts, Radio, Flickr, Wsj Live, Vimeo, NBA, MLB.TV, NHL and Trailers. It's really nice to have. It's a very small component. Size of a piece of bread.
    Last edited by jcrow; 02-06-2013 at 05:41 AM.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I have all kinds of mags on my color Nook. It has a space made for them. Plus I have my PDF files for my embroidery machine that I study on it plus lots more. Including a PDF on a quilt that I designed. Its great because I can take it with me anywhere, even when I lay in bed at night. I'm trying to declutter so if possible I'm not buying any more paper mags. I can go to Barnes and Noble and get them 14 days for free or a really cheap monthly price. I love the one for Embroidery; great pictures and content.
    Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2