Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing 4 or 9 patach? >

Disappearing 4 or 9 patach?

Disappearing 4 or 9 patach?

Old 10-30-2021, 05:45 AM

Default Disappearing 4 or 9 patach?

I was gifted yardage of 8 dif patterns of Dr Seus fabric. I've looked at both 4 and 9 patch and not thrilled wth either one but know they will go together quickly and I need at least 5 baby sized quilts for PL by Thanksgiving. I think the main plroblem I have is DS fabric is pretty loud..lol

So ? is...which one do YOU like? 4 or 9

I learned some of the fundamentals...for 9 patch tiny print or solid in center and larger prints best for corners.

Could someone please tell me which one to do?
Old 10-30-2021, 05:58 AM

I have made both and feel that the 4 patch is quicker to make. Since you need them by thanksgiving this should probably be a consideration. I think the 4 patch can also handle busy fabric a little better since it makes the secondary flower type design when sewn together. Just realized I'm thinking of a 4 patch posey and you are referring to disappearing 4 patch. Two completely different things.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
...............I think the main plroblem I have is DS fabric is pretty loud..lol..........
Because you want speed, my thoughts are to skip D9Ps and D4Ps, as they are fiddly because of all the cutting you have to do after making the block. Instead, go straight to big blocky layouts. There are SO many possibilities in that regard.

You've mentioned yardage ... we have no idea whether this is one metre or ten of each!

Assuming you have atleast one of each ..... Here's a speedy pattern.
Stack three of your fabrics, cut as a nine patch and shift the stacks for mix and match ......
Pattern: Super-Sized Nine Patch | Quilting Daily
Keep in mind, this is not about you!
The wilder, the louder, the kids will love them!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:39 AM

I've not made the disappearing 4 patch, but have done the D9p. It was the first quilt I ever made. Because of all the errors in cutting and sewing I made, I couldn't use the layout I preferred. So I made it again using 5" squares. Instead of making the 9 patch and cutting it up, I made a made the same quilt with strips. It was easier.....way easier. Maybe that was just because I had more experience, though. I agree with QuiltE, the D9p is too fussy.

I can't find the photos, but I just made a 5" strip of white with a blue 21/2 inch strip attached. I cut it to the size I would have had if I had cut up the 9 patch and attached it to each square. It went together really fast and wasn't as fiddly.

I made a quilt for project linus this week, except for an older boy. It was from the 3 yard quilts book, "Quick as a Wink". It's called Roman Holiday. It used a 9 1/2 inch block as the focus fabric, which would be perfect for a Seuss print. I had some cowboy boot fabric and it worked perfectly. I think I'll use the remainder the that fabric and duplicate the one I made. I made some rookie mistakes, as I haven't made a quilt since last year. So the next one will go faster. I might use 4 rows instead of 6 for a baby quilt.
bkay

This is the second "D9P" I made suing the strip instead of traditional D9P . It was an I Spy for my grand nephew.

Edit: I found the photos of how I did the strip. I cut a 5X21/2 strip of white, cut it into 2 1/2 inch strips, and attached it to one side of the charm. I made a strip of 5" white, and attached a 21/2 inch Blue strip to it and cut in 21/2 inch lengths and attached to the other side. I went very quickly for me compared to cutting up all those 9 patches.
Attached Thumbnails alistairs-quilt.jpg   dsc_0466.jpg   dsc_0467.jpg  

Last edited by bkay; 10-30-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:12 AM

I love both of them. The disappearing 9 patch is my go to choice just because there are some nice options with it.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Well, I made a decision. and chose D9P. Having a blast laying out the blocks. i'm pretending to be playing checkers...lol. The goal of 5 quilts was my secret. If I only filnish 3 that's better than 1, right? lol TU for the input.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

For donation quilts I Try to make 7-1/2" blocks. Some are three colors, some are scrappy. They go pretty easy for me.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:46 AM

Bkay....I've made that pattern for Project Linus and it is quick and easy. Haven't made any Project Linus quilts lately as I've been finishing a counted cross stitch project that has been "holding" for 25 years!! Now it's finished and will take it to be framed tomorrow....then back to quilting PL again!