Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Disappearing Nine Patch and quilting it together

Red face Disappearing Nine Patch and quilting it together

Hello everybody,

I am new at trying the disappearing nine patch and quilting it together. In fact, I've never had the opportunity to do much quilting but now I am able to do so (a little at a time) and enjoying it. I just finished two completed blocks and so far so good. My question is which do you prefer when quilting it together: quilt as you go method or quilt the whole quilt together? Also, do you recommend stitch in the ditch when quilting it together on your own machine? I'm thinking of doing stitch in the ditch if I make it through the whole process.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Banned
    I prefer to quilt the finished top. Tried the other, was not impressed with the results.

I haven't tried QAYG yet, but it's one of the things I plan to look into. It's certainly an appealing idea, as pushing a whole quilt around is difficult for me, and I therefore don't quilt as often as I would like to.
    Lisa

I have tried the quilt as you go (by machine). I am not very good at it. The quilts seem a bit stiff so I went back to putting top together and then hand quilting.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    Hi -

Welcome -

What size quilt are you planning to make?

I can wrestle a quilt about 60 x 80 inches through my older (1980s) machine - but all I do is straight line or stitch in the ditch quilting.

There are few quilting questions that have only one answer.

SITD is easier with a big quilt and a domestic machine. I have done QAYG and it's a lot of fun, but you definitely have to plan on making it that way from the beginning. It doesn't work easily on all quilts.

I find that I can do some FMQ (I am horrible at it, so use stencils LOL) on a quilt that is 40x40. Anything bigger than that and I get frustrated and give up, or do SITD.

Also, with a large quilt you want to make sure you have lots of table space to hold the weight of the quilt - all the way around, otherwise you will get frustrated with the pulling and dragging of the quilt as you are trying to sew.

Good luck

Don't be afraid to do either. Maybe a test piece for QAYG, and see how you like it.
    I like to quilt the whole top.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, this is like asking all of us what we like better, red or white wine. We are all going to have different opinions, and our reasons for liking one over the other will vary from person to person. I agree with the others that say to try both methods to see what YOU like best. You may decide you like the ease of QAYG, or you prefer the look of quilting a whole top at once. And once you get more experienced, you may change your mind! I used to drink nothing but cabernet, but have branched out into white zinfandels, pinot gris, and tequila. Not at the same time, though.

I find that I am never happy with my stitch in the ditch. I can never stay exactly in the ditch. Instead, I prefer to 'echo quilt'--follow the seam line but 1/16th to 1/8th inch away. Much less frustrating and much less un-sewing.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

If I'm doing QAYG for block quilts I like to do it in thirds: do stitch a third of your blocks together and then sandwich and quilt but leave about a 1-2 inch open part on the bottom, don't quilt all the way to the edges. (I prefer horizontal but you can do vertical thirds too.). The middle section you sandwich and quilt but be sure to leave the 1-2 inch part on BOTH sides, then leave the open part on the top for the last third. Then I stitch them right sides together doing the front, then the batting, then trim the batting so it's not too ragged then do the last bit. That last seam is tricky, I can usually get it lined up with the blocks so it doesn't show much but if I miss a titch it's ok. I've also done the QAYG where you do the full top and backing but you only put a third of the batting in at a time, from the middle outward. Much easier to "puddle" cause less bulk

I've used Marti Mitchell's Quilting in Sections method on a couple quilts and was very happy with the result. I"m not really good enough at machine quilting to do a whole king sized quilt on my DSM. But with the Quilting in Sections method, I can.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I personally don't enjoy quilt as you go. I have done a couple quilts and while quilting each block is always fun (love free motion quilting) I don't like putting all the blocks together. I would much rather piece the complete top and sandwich and quilt. I am not a follow the lines kind of girl, my first quilt was free motion and I haven't looked back.

Whatever you decide don't overthink it, just have fun. There will be many more quilts ahead of you to try all different types.

Blog Entries
    my suggestion is that until you are more comfortable with quilting at home on a domestic machine, keep your quilt tops smaller (a throw or twin size). It is just easier to push/pull thru your machine without too much puckering and catching. As you feel more comfortable, go bigger!

Hello everybody,

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your input and recommendations.

Bearisgray: I plan on making a small baby quilt to start. So true, there are few quilting questions that have only one answer.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    The quilt as you go methods I'm familiar with where you quilt each block as you go along have a sashing involved. The pattern would be lost in a disappearing 9 patch using these methods. Quilting sections of the quilt might work. I don't find it that difficult to just construct the whole quilt, sandwich it and quilt it on my machine so I've never tried to do it in sections.

Power Poster
    For a small baby quilt - I would finish the whole top and quilt the whole thing at once.

If Il wanted to experiment with the technique, I would do a table runner or placemat - sort of "sily" in a way - but I could get an idea of the "how" with a little piece.

I mostly quilt straight line, not ness stitch in the ditch, b/c I am not very good at free motion. If you decide on straight line of any kind a walking foot will be your friend.

I only QAYG, I have been unable to wrestle a full size quilt under a dsm. There are many ways to QAYG, I have tried most of the ways I know of, and quilted quilts w/o sashing, w/ narrow plain sashing, w/ wide pieced sashing, on point, w/ fleece backing. I have combined different types of QAYG techniques in the same quilt. The only quilt I can think of that wouldn't work in a form of qayg is whole cloth.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Mu first quilt was a T-shirt quilt that ended up a little wider and longer than a twin size. I did the standard way of making the top, then sandwich on my living room rug, then crawl all over the living room to pin it. Exhausting!!! I quilted with a serpentine stitch over the seams of the blocks. It turned out ok. My next one was a memory quilt from my late husbands' dress shirts. I did that one with a QAYG method. Easier than trying to wrangle with a big bed size quilt with my home sewing machine. I have done two more, one of each method. I find that I like to do QAYG for queen/king size. My latest venture was three crib quilts using Kay Woods 6-hour quilt method which a QAYG. I followed her method and tweeked it to suit myself by adding corner stones to each piece. They turned out good and so much simpler for me, than sandwiching and then quilting.
    Last edited by dee1245; 05-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Life is a remarkable journey~~make yours memorable...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVFD215 View Post
    Don't be afraid to do either. Maybe a test piece for QAYG, and see how you like it.
    I like to quilt the whole top.
    Also, try several different methods of QAG since some methods are easier than others for each of us. Just have fun.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I agree with those who do not SITD; I am not accurate enough for that technique and where I waver from the seam, it screams at me. I prefer free motion quilting.

Blog Entries
    I have not yet done a QAYG project either so I can't offer any advice.

As far as SITD, I have an edge foot (has a flange down the middle) which is very helpful keeping me accurate.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.