Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in current sewing project >

Disappointed in current sewing project

Disappointed in current sewing project

Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bj
Just put it aside for a bit and come back to it. You may just be tired of it. Sometimes I have to let things perk in my head for awhile when I reach a rough patch with a quilt, and then I'll come up with an idea that I like and go for it.
That's my usual solution.

IMHO, the only problem with your quilt is 'clumps' of color. I would like it better with the darker parts more spread out, I think.

Of course, I have projects I don't like much. In fact, I'm doing one right now. Unfortunately, I promised the finished quilt in about a week and a half and have other things to do in the same time frame.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 PM

The value/contrast between the lightest fabric and darkest fabric is too much.
Make the darkest fabric a bit lighter and it will blend better.
K
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 AM

I personally like the darker triangles, but they both look really nice. I've had a few that I just didn't care for, but you really should finish this one. I think it's really pretty.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 AM

I would suggest that you rearrange your blocks until you get something that is pleasing your eye. Keep the light outside triangles and use the dark fushia as a skinny border then bring out one of your other colors for a last border. Once it is quilted it is going to be beautiful and you will be glad you finished it.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 AM

Sometimes I give my unwanted UFO's to charities like hospice. We have 2 groups that do hospice quilts.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by collydolly
I wondered if anyone else has ever been disappointed in a project they were working on? I'm fairly new to quilting and to the board (I read it every day!) I started a quilt with fabric that has been in my stash for awhile. I thought it was a no brainer because all the fabric came from one line and co-ordinates nicely. I have all the blocks made and spread it out on the floor and I don't like it at all! I thought it might be the color of the setting triangles around the outside edge so I went and bought new fabric for that and replaced them but I still don't like it. There's just something about it and I can't quite put my finger on it. Now I don't even want to finish sewing it together. I want to move on to my next quilt but feel guilty about wasting fabric and leaving it unfinished.
Yes! It happens to all of us. Once you get all together, you will like it. Or love it! As for your layout, I really, really like the lighter triangles in the first picture the best. It just matches best, to me :) hugs
Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 AM

I like both so I'm no help. But I do agree with all the others about putting it away for awhile if you're not happy.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 AM

Looking at your quilt it looks like you turned the center block area and that is throwing off the blocks. You have a lot of green on the lower right in the first picture. Something looks like maybe it got twisted. I am horrible at explanitaions. Can anyone help explain it better?
Maybe it is me. I did a quilt for a friend this year and ended up twisting the whole group. If you look you have a big block sort of either up and down. It looks like you went up down up and up. I hope that is making sense.
I do like the brighter colors in the second background.
Dawn NY
Old 09-11-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by collydolly
I wondered if anyone else has ever been disappointed in a project they were working on? I'm fairly new to quilting and to the board (I read it every day!) I started a quilt with fabric that has been in my stash for awhile. I thought it was a no brainer because all the fabric came from one line and co-ordinates nicely. I have all the blocks made and spread it out on the floor and I don't like it at all! I thought it might be the color of the setting triangles around the outside edge so I went and bought new fabric for that and replaced them but I still don't like it. There's just something about it and I can't quite put my finger on it. Now I don't even want to finish sewing it together. I want to move on to my next quilt but feel guilty about wasting fabric and leaving it unfinished.
I really like the second picture. The darker color makes it pop. And, I love the quilt.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Yes, this has happened to me. I've found that if I walk away from it for a while and come back to it, I can look at it with "fresh eyes" and fix what's bothering me. Sometimes it's as easy as changing one fabric.