Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79

Thread: Disappointed at Joann's

  1. #1
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    Stopped at Joann's on Sat. to pick up some black fabric for the border of a black and white quilt I'm making. Very disappointed as for the most part the fabrics were thin, stretchy and kind of see through. Checked out the Kono black and that was always a good choice for a solid black colorwise as well as for thickness. Kono was a little better than Joann's stuff but still not as good as the small piece of Kono I have that I bought a few years ago. Didn't get to use my coupons again. Guess it's a long trip to the LQS for me.
    May in Jersey

  2. #2
    Super Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,246
    Hi May - it can be hard to get a good solid black. Kona has two different blacks. Regular Black (#47) is different from Jet Black (#46) which is dyed multiple times. It's a bit more expensive (about $7/yard instead of $5/yard) but worth it in my opinion. I think Joann probably only carries the regular black and that may be why it didn't feel right to you.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    Thanks, that is good info to know.

  4. #4
    Super Member frarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,005
    I usually buy my Kona online.

  5. #5
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,711
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just to make you feel better, I buy the Kona Jet black here in the UK and if I'm lucky, ONLY pay the equivalent of around$12 per metre (39"). But I've never found a solid black to match it for quality, depth of colour or colour fastness. In my experience, cheap price = cheap quality, unless it's a genuine sale.

  6. #6
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Just to make you feel better, I buy the Kona Jet black here in the UK and if I'm lucky, ONLY pay the equivalent of around$12 per metre (39"). But I've never found a solid black to match it for quality, depth of colour or colour fastness. In my experience, cheap price = cheap quality, unless it's a genuine sale.
    Have you ever tried the Michael Miller Jet Black Solid? It's amazing.
    Blackest black I've found. There is no red or blue or green tint to it. It's just the most deepest black.
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MCJ-BLK

  7. #7
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,711
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Have you ever tried the Michael Miller Jet Black Solid? It's amazing.
    Blackest black I've found. There is no red or blue or green tint to it. It's just the most deepest black.
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MCJ-BLK
    I haven't but I have used other Micheal Miller fabrics and always found them excellent quality. When my bolt of Kona starts getting low, I'll campaign my LQS to get a bolt to try. She probably will oblige me as I've been sending hordes of ladies in there recently to buy metres of fabric for my kaleidoscope workshops so I'm definitely in her good books at the moment! :mrgreen:

    Thanks for the 'heads up'. :-D

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,142
    May, just curious, where is your nearest LQS? I was in Wildwood this past weekend and was looking for somewhere to go in the rain on Sat. and couldn't find anything nearby.

  9. #9
    Senior Member marknfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Stopped at Joann's on Sat. to pick up some black fabric for the border of a black and white quilt I'm making. Very disappointed as for the most part the fabrics were thin, stretchy and kind of see through. Checked out the Kono black and that was always a good choice for a solid black colorwise as well as for thickness. Kono was a little better than Joann's stuff but still not as good as the small piece of Kono I have that I bought a few years ago. Didn't get to use my coupons again. Guess it's a long trip to the LQS for me.
    May in Jersey
    Have you ever tried the Amish black fabric from Keepsake Quilting? I have been tempted to order some but first wanted to find out if anyone has used it.

  10. #10
    QKO
    QKO is offline
    Super Member QKO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Nevada
    Posts
    2,528
    If you're looking for a really deep double-dyed black, another great one is Maywood Studios Black Magic. We use it in our kits when we need a really black black with no other color tinge.

    Maywood is also always on the highest quality goods. Not really that cheap, but worth it.

  11. #11
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,755
    Blog Entries
    1
    Never realized that there's so much variation in black!

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pratt Kansas
    Posts
    1,255
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    ...I've been sending hordes of ladies in there recently to buy metres of fabric for my kaleidoscope workshops so I'm definitely in her good books at the moment! :mrgreen: Thanks for the 'heads up'. :-D
    ... a gaggle of geese

    ... a horde of quilters

    Great to know the correct term! :mrgreen: ...love it!!!

    In my case, it's a "hoard"! teehee!

  13. #13
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Never realized that there's so much variation in black!
    Next time you're in a relatively well-stocked LQS, take a look at the black solids.
    Even if they're top of the line fabrics- Moda, Kaufman, P&B - when you put them next to each other, what looked like perfectly acceptable black solid before will now appear with a red or blue or green tint.

    My understanding of this, from something I read back when the MM fabric came out, is that many of the black solids are produced by using a mish-mash of remaining dyes, and throwing black in to them so they darken up to a "black" solid.
    But those underlying other colors still have an effect on the final product.

    The MM Jet Solid Black was one of the first made with ONLY dark black dyes.

    How many times have you bought black fabric, used it up, and then bought more.....and it wasn't the same color?

    I've bought and used huge yardage cuts of this fabric from different sources and never had the equivalent of dye lot mismatch problem.

    I found the Moda frayed a lot. A LOT.

    Keepsake Quilting's Amish black is an RJR fabric - which, when I last saw in a store (not Keepsake) was not black black.
    When I fabric shop, I always have a square of the MM Jet with me to compare. ;-)

    I haven't tried the Maywood black yet. Thanks for mentioning it.

    NAYY / YMMV.
    ;-)

  14. #14
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,755
    Blog Entries
    1
    See that's the problem. There's only one LQS here and it's not well stocked (they would only have one black) and there aren't really any others.

  15. #15
    Senior Member marknfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    643
    Thank you for letting me know about the Amish black!

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,165
    I haven't used black in quilting, but I was always frustrated with black clothing. The black sweater would look awful with the black slacks. Now I know why.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ploverwi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    761
    Hancoks has the best balck fabric I have ever found and prices are fairly good. They carry it all the time.

  18. #18
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    22,263
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Just to make you feel better, I buy the Kona Jet black here in the UK and if I'm lucky, ONLY pay the equivalent of around$12 per metre (39"). But I've never found a solid black to match it for quality, depth of colour or colour fastness. In my experience, cheap price = cheap quality, unless it's a genuine sale.
    Have you ever tried the Michael Miller Jet Black Solid? It's amazing.
    Blackest black I've found. There is no red or blue or green tint to it. It's just the most deepest black.
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MCJ-BLK
    It is a wonderful black - but the three pieces I've had (from different bolts and different times) DID shrink quite a bit crosswise. (But then, I soak my fabrics in hot water) - over two inches.

  19. #19
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    See that's the problem. There's only one LQS here and it's not well stocked (they would only have one black) and there aren't really any others.
    Well, if you were doing one project and had enough fabric, you probably wouldn't notice the difference of the tinted black.

    You would, however, notice the difference of your other fabrics with the MM fabric. They just pop off it.

    The only reason I noticed was that years ago I went back to my LQS to get more black for a project. As I was looking at the 3 black bolts, the light happened to hit them and I noticed there were obvious differences.

    But keep it in mind to check if you ever get to a bigger shop.

    And you can always order the MM online. ;-)

  20. #20
    Senior Member katcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Olympia,Washington
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Stopped at Joann's on Sat. to pick up some black fabric for the border of a black and white quilt I'm making. Very disappointed as for the most part the fabrics were thin, stretchy and kind of see through. Checked out the Kono black and that was always a good choice for a solid black colorwise as well as for thickness. Kono was a little better than Joann's stuff but still not as good as the small piece of Kono I have that I bought a few years ago. Didn't get to use my coupons again. Guess it's a long trip to the LQS for me.
    May in Jersey
    It is not only the black, I wanted to buy lime green and you could see through it, like gauze.I should of checked to see where it was made. I've been very disappointed with their fabric lately. It was a country classic and the kona wasn't much better.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    sadly we are going to have to get used to thinner fabrics showing up every where for a while...the Asian greige goods they are ALLOWING fabric manufacturers to use is thinner than we are used to!

  22. #22
    Junior Member time2quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    197
    If you've got a Hobby Lobby nearby, I think they carry Kona...

    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Stopped at Joann's on Sat. to pick up some black fabric for the border of a black and white quilt I'm making. Very disappointed as for the most part the fabrics were thin, stretchy and kind of see through. Checked out the Kono black and that was always a good choice for a solid black colorwise as well as for thickness. Kono was a little better than Joann's stuff but still not as good as the small piece of Kono I have that I bought a few years ago. Didn't get to use my coupons again. Guess it's a long trip to the LQS for me.
    May in Jersey

  23. #23
    Super Member Edie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,617
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    Hi May - it can be hard to get a good solid black. Kona has two different blacks. Regular Black (#47) is different from Jet Black (#46) which is dyed multiple times. It's a bit more expensive (about $7/yard instead of $5/yard) but worth it in my opinion. I think Joann probably only carries the regular black and that may be why it didn't feel right to you.

    Hope this helps!
    You are right! I did the same with an Amish quilt I made and the black #46 was a little more expensive, but a lot easier to work with also. It has the feel! Edie

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    new york state
    Posts
    5,216
    Blog Entries
    2
    I never get to use my Joanns cupon. Seems like everything is always on sale. Why do they bother sending cupons?

  25. #25
    Senior Member Michellesews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    El Paso Texas
    Posts
    982
    Yes, China has invaded Joannes as well.
    Michelle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.